This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Does God Act Surprised? (Christianity)

#1DagorhaPosted 12/6/2012 9:24:25 PM
You know I was tossing this thought back and forth for a couple of nights but it is quite perplexing. Why does God act surprised? The two examples are thus:

Gen 1:31 - This could be a translation issue I admit right now.

Mark 10:18 - This seems to be the big one that doesn't make any sense. It's like he literally comes out and says that he isn't God.

If he was God then the question is utterly meaningless. I don't know if it is better in other languages, but in english the phrase "Why do you think I'm X?" implies that the person speaking isn't X. This isn't normally the case but the next line "Only God is good" is in direct contradiction to Jesus being God.

It would be like if someone came up to me and asked why I walk on two legs and I answered "What make you think I walk on two legs? Only humans walk on two legs!"

The implication being that I'm not walking on two legs and I'm not human. So please explain this to me.

Random thought:

The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”

27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

Jesus is 100% man and 100% God. Ergo it is simultaneously impossible (since man can't save anyone) and easily possible (God can do anything) for Jesus to be a savior. Paradox?

I suppose the God side then made it possible for the human side to take upon himself all the sins of everyone although doesn't that go against something fundamental in judaism?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#2SirThinkALotPosted 12/6/2012 9:34:06 PM
Dagorha posted...
Mark 10:18 - This seems to be the big one that doesn't make any sense. It's like he literally comes out and says that he isn't God.

If he was God then the question is utterly meaningless. I don't know if it is better in other languages, but in english the phrase "Why do you think I'm X?" implies that the person speaking isn't X. This isn't normally the case but the next line "Only God is good" is in direct contradiction to Jesus being God.

It would be like if someone came up to me and asked why I walk on two legs and I answered "What make you think I walk on two legs? Only humans walk on two legs!"

The implication being that I'm not walking on two legs and I'm not human. So please explain this to me.

I always saw it as Jesus making sure the young man understood what he was saying, and the full implications there of.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#3OrangeWizardPosted 12/6/2012 10:02:27 PM
Why does God act surprised?

Short Answer: Because he does not always know the future.

Because Jesus isn't God.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#4SuibomPosted 12/6/2012 10:04:58 PM
Dagorha posted...
You know I was tossing this thought back and forth for a couple of nights but it is quite perplexing. Why does God act surprised? The two examples are thus:

Gen 1:31 - This could be a translation issue I admit right now.

That's a good question.

I can picture God looking at what He'd created and thinking, "Yep, that'll do just fine." Like with a sense of satisfaction and pride in His work.

I get that way when I finish a landscape. I go into it knowing what I want, and knowing it's going to look good, but there's still that "Oh yeah! Look at what I just did!" feeling that I get at the end.

What STaL said

Random thought:

The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”

27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

Jesus is 100% man and 100% God. Ergo it is simultaneously impossible (since man can't save anyone) and easily possible (God can do anything) for Jesus to be a savior. Paradox?

I suppose the God side then made it possible for the human side to take upon himself all the sins of everyone although doesn't that go against something fundamental in judaism?

What STaL said.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#5SuibomPosted 12/6/2012 10:07:11 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

Because Jesus isn't God.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#6Faust_8Posted 12/6/2012 10:25:45 PM
God refers to Jesus in second and third person, and vice versa. Jesus also doesn't know things God knows, says God can do things Jesus can't do, and never refers to himself as God...I really don't know why anyone ever came to the conclusion that he was.

Let alone that it's literally saying that two things are the same AND different at once. You can't look at two things individually and say they're different but when you compare them, say they're the same. It is by definition impossible.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#7chukie_suePosted 12/6/2012 10:36:21 PM

Sounds like it.

This isn't really that relevant but in came to my mind while reading. You will notice throughout the life of Jesus, despite being 100% divine like you said, He fully walked as any other man. Paul touches on this in Philippians when he said that Jesus didn't consider equality with God something to be grasped. When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, it wouldn't have been a sin to turn stones to bread. But Satan appealed to Jesus' human nature which can easily succumb to fear which distrusts and dishonors God. So Jesus, being a man, had faith in His Father's provision.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#8Dagorha(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 11:40:01 PM
I always saw it as Jesus making sure the young man understood what he was saying, and the full implications there of.

It doesn't make sense given what he says then and later on in the passage. It is an empty statement to say what Jesus said. I mean I can give another example but it shouldn't be necessary...

What STaL said.

He didn't comment on the second part...

I get that way when I finish a landscape. I go into it knowing what I want, and knowing it's going to look good, but there's still that "Oh yeah! Look at what I just did!" feeling that I get at the end.

Yes but for you, you know it can be imperfect where as with God no such possibility exists.

God refers to Jesus in second and third person, and vice versa. Jesus also doesn't know things God knows, says God can do things Jesus can't do, and never refers to himself as God...I really don't know why anyone ever came to the conclusion that he was.

John 1 and that's really it. Everything else feels shoehorned in to make it fit and the things that don't jive are explained away. This one though I feel is almost impossible to reconcile. Still trying to think of ways it could work and still have meaning.

This isn't really that relevant but in came to my mind while reading. You will notice throughout the life of Jesus, despite being 100% divine like you said, He fully walked as any other man. Paul touches on this in Philippians when he said that Jesus didn't consider equality with God something to be grasped. When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, it wouldn't have been a sin to turn stones to bread. But Satan appealed to Jesus' human nature which can easily succumb to fear which distrusts and dishonors God. So Jesus, being a man, had faith in His Father's provision.

True but faith in God is essentially faith in one's self in Jesus's case. I mean it's true that he appeals to his father who we are to take as a seperate but fully the same entity. Have I mentioned the notion of the trinity is a hard notion to wrap one's mind around? Anyway...

the point by my previous statement was to show that it would be logically impossible for Jesus to carry the sins of the world without further intervention of some kind. But because he is also 100% God, I do suppose he can mitigate it somehow and maybe its another translation issue.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#9JonWood007Posted 12/7/2012 12:38:06 AM
Because the god of the Bible is "perfect" and "superior", but then again, not so perfect. In the OT he has character flaws up to wazoo, and could even be influenced by his followers. Now, you would think that if God is perfect, his agenda cannot be changed, but then you need Moses and all to reason with God to spare Israel at times. And then God's like, hmm, good point, I didn't think of the fact that the Egyptians would think I'm a jerk if I smited everyone. You would think an omnipotent being would know that. Oh well, it makes good dialogue for story purposes.

Heck, through most of genesis, I get the impression God is blundering through creation when he first makes it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10Julian_CaesarPosted 12/7/2012 4:33:01 AM
Let alone that it's literally saying that two things are the same AND different at once. You can't look at two things individually and say they're different but when you compare them, say they're the same. It is by definition impossible.

If I draw a circle and a square on a sheet of paper and you tell me they can't possibly be the same, my response is that they're simply limited perspectives of a cylinder. That is, 2-D representations (from different views) of a 3-D object. While the representations are indeed NOT the same, they are in fact referring to the SAME object. In the same way, God/Jesus/Holy Spirit are not the same thing from OUR perspective, because we lack the ability to see them in their true state of unified being (on a plane which transcends time and space)...but that does not mean they cannot all be "representations" of the same "single" being.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.