This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians, do you believe we're in the end times?

#81Kaiser1onePosted 12/18/2012 3:01:32 PM
People have been claiming it's the end times for thousands of years. In another thousand years people will still be claiming it.
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#82mercurydudePosted 12/18/2012 3:35:07 PM
Kaiser1one posted...
People have been claiming it's the end times for thousands of years. In another thousand years people will still be claiming it.

I once saw an old book at a yard sale whose title gave me a good chuckle.

The 1980's: Countdown to Armageddon by Hal Lindsey

I felt so embarrassed for the author.

And then there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#83SuibomPosted 12/18/2012 3:55:16 PM
Adventists and their offshoot, the Jaydubs, used to be all about setting dates.

They've gotten away from it now because, lol, not a single one came to pass.

The Jaydubs have stuck with their "Jesus returned spiritually in 1914", but even that's a scriptural joke of a doctrine. But, it lets them have their 144,000 witnesses, and they're not about to go back and retcon that. Gasp! The thought of everyone having a shot at heaven versus an elite 144k?! Where's the control in that?!
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#84Wandering__HeroPosted 12/18/2012 5:18:26 PM
Btw the next a Christian claims to know the date or even the Year, call em out on Blasphemy, because that's what it means for a Christen to deliberately contradict Jesus's own words.
---
This site gives 1.1 cups of food for each click a day. Please click it
http://www.thehungersite.com
#85SystemafunkPosted 12/21/2012 1:54:46 PM
I honestly don't care. We are supposed to always live as though we are, and we are always supposed to live like Jesus could return any moment. Many Christians never do. It is the spiritual and non superficial equivalent of living each day like it is your last. You should try it sometime.
#86Master CilanderPosted 12/21/2012 2:42:01 PM
anavriN posted...
Polish_Crusader posted...
Whenever i encounter these deep questions, whether from my mind or from someone else asking, i always search the answer in God's Word first.

"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth."

-2 TIMOTHY 3:1-7

Look at how our society is today. Look at what is promoted in the media, in music, movies, promoted in the public schools. Look at the focus that we are encouraged to do almost everyday.

You tell me if we are in the end times?

We've been living in the end times for as long as recorded history?
You do realize that this vague description has zero discriminative power, right? It's just as bad as they 'prophecy' about wars, famines and earthquakes: these things have always happened throughout history.

That prophecy says the end times would come when wars, earthquakes, and famines ceased actually. Which is was makes it unique.

People misread it completely.
---
Neutral but not impartial.
#87anavriNPosted 12/24/2012 7:54:28 PM(edited)
Master Cilander posted...
That prophecy says the end times would come when wars, earthquakes, and famines ceased actually. Which is was makes it unique.

People misread it completely.

I was referring to Bible verses where Jesus speaks of times wherein people will "hear of wars and rumors of wars", such as Matthew 24:6 and Mark 13:7.
Is there a Bible verse that says that the end of time will come in a time when there are no wars, famines and earthquakes?
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.