This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mere Christianity - Anyone Read It? Good for beginners?

#1Izua1__RebirthPosted 12/25/2012 5:53:39 PM
It was recommended to me a while back.
#2TheWetRatPosted 12/25/2012 6:50:34 PM
The only people I know who find its arguments convincing are those who are already Christian, for what that's worth.
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#3chukie_suePosted 12/25/2012 7:40:56 PM(edited)
I read it a few years ago for a class of mine. It's a good read. Regardless of whether you agree with Lewis or not, it's a good introduction to Christianity and its concepts. Lewis' musings are always entertaining to me, anyway. It was adapted from a series of radio talks during world war 2 so Lewis has an interesting perspective.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#4JonWood007Posted 12/25/2012 9:37:17 PM
Severely overrated. As mentioned above, you basically need to be part of the hive mind to really enjoy it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#5chukie_suePosted 12/26/2012 11:19:48 AM
Isn't that kind of how it works? If I found The God Delusion convincing I would become an atheist. If you found Mere Christianity convincing you would become a Christian.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#6Hustle KongPosted 12/26/2012 11:28:11 AM
chukie_sue posted...
Isn't that kind of how it works? If I found The God Delusion convincing I would become an atheist. If you found Mere Christianity convincing you would become a Christian.

Not quite. I find George MacDonald's (the man whom Lewis credits with his conversion) sermons to be very persuasive, though I am not a Christian.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7chukie_suePosted 12/26/2012 11:33:44 AM
That's true. My aim is the dispel the notion that because many Christians find it convincing and many atheists don't, that it is somehow evidence against its quality.
---
#8serpentslayerPosted 12/26/2012 11:48:28 AM
lewis' arguments are like babby's first apologetics. a 13 year old could have destroyed him in a debate.
---
God is man helping man: this is the way to everlasting glory. -Pliny the Elder
#9lastheroPosted 12/26/2012 11:54:44 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
chukie_sue posted...

Not quite. I find George MacDonald's (the man whom Lewis credits with his conversion) sermons to be very persuasive, though I am not a Christian.

Exactly. Sometimes a bad argument is jut a bad argument, even if you agree with the overall principle of the person behind it.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#10MegamanWilyPosted 12/26/2012 12:07:47 PM
To be honest as a Christian I thought "I don't see how any Aethist would agree with these" as I read it.

Your better off reading Screwtape Letters, which is slightly more likely to sway someone, but has interesting insights and is a genereally enjoyable read.
---
The person you are talking to is Permanently unconscious. Please hang up and try again.