This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mere Christianity - Anyone Read It? Good for beginners?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mere Christianity - Anyone Read It? Good for beginners?
4 years ago#1
It was recommended to me a while back.
4 years ago#2
The only people I know who find its arguments convincing are those who are already Christian, for what that's worth.
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
4 years ago#3
I read it a few years ago for a class of mine. It's a good read. Regardless of whether you agree with Lewis or not, it's a good introduction to Christianity and its concepts. Lewis' musings are always entertaining to me, anyway. It was adapted from a series of radio talks during world war 2 so Lewis has an interesting perspective.
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
4 years ago#4
Severely overrated. As mentioned above, you basically need to be part of the hive mind to really enjoy it.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
4 years ago#5
Isn't that kind of how it works? If I found The God Delusion convincing I would become an atheist. If you found Mere Christianity convincing you would become a Christian.
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
4 years ago#6
chukie_sue posted...
Isn't that kind of how it works? If I found The God Delusion convincing I would become an atheist. If you found Mere Christianity convincing you would become a Christian.

Not quite. I find George MacDonald's (the man whom Lewis credits with his conversion) sermons to be very persuasive, though I am not a Christian.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
4 years ago#7
That's true. My aim is the dispel the notion that because many Christians find it convincing and many atheists don't, that it is somehow evidence against its quality.
4 years ago#8
lewis' arguments are like babby's first apologetics. a 13 year old could have destroyed him in a debate.
God is man helping man: this is the way to everlasting glory. -Pliny the Elder
4 years ago#9
Hustle Kong posted...
chukie_sue posted...

Not quite. I find George MacDonald's (the man whom Lewis credits with his conversion) sermons to be very persuasive, though I am not a Christian.

Exactly. Sometimes a bad argument is jut a bad argument, even if you agree with the overall principle of the person behind it.
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
4 years ago#10
To be honest as a Christian I thought "I don't see how any Aethist would agree with these" as I read it.

Your better off reading Screwtape Letters, which is slightly more likely to sway someone, but has interesting insights and is a genereally enjoyable read.
The person you are talking to is Permanently unconscious. Please hang up and try again.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Mere Christianity - Anyone Read It? Good for beginners?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived