This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Describe your personal experiences...

#1Mike_StantonPosted 12/29/2012 4:55:26 AM
I'm not asking you to convince me that your personal anecdotes are true, I just want to know what you think you experienced with the divine. It seems relatively common that believers have affirmed their beliefs based on personal experiences, but I'm curious to hear some specifics.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#2SuibomPosted 12/29/2012 5:12:12 AM
Nah. Hard pass.

It cheapens them.

And it never feels good to have things you hold dear pooped on by others.

Been there, done that. Won't ever do it again.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#3C_MatPosted 12/29/2012 6:30:13 AM
Suibom posted...
Nah. Hard pass.

It cheapens them.

And it never feels good to have things you hold dear pooped on by others.

Been there, done that. Won't ever do it again.

Yeah, this. I've told my own experiences too many times on this board and was met with unbelievable condescension by people who had no idea what they were talking about.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#4GBALoserPosted 12/29/2012 6:59:51 AM
Third'd. Not Christian, but I've stated this before, it'd feel too P/C for acceptability to explain mine.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#5Julian_CaesarPosted 12/31/2012 1:13:23 AM
I would feel more sad, but then again this board (even dating back to Cotton days) has never been about warm fuzziness. Mostly it's been about angsty sharp edges and razor blades.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#6BetaSquadronPosted 12/31/2012 1:31:09 AM
It would probably look better to not respond rather than admit that it's discomforting to share one's experiences with a critical audience.

It's easy to imagine an experience as being profound until you write it down or talk about it and realize that the experience was actually pretty mundane.
#7Julian_CaesarPosted 12/31/2012 1:59:28 AM
It would probably look better to not respond rather than admit that it's discomforting to share one's experiences with a critical audience.

Has it occurred to you that placing more importance on "looking better" than "sharing one's experiences" is the exact sort of hostile worldview we're talking about avoiding? Or to put it more bluntly, how many times have you genuinely confided in someone with the purpose of impressing them? Rather than to feel accepted?

We're not commenting on the criticism itself, because constructive criticism is fine. We're commenting on the gross inability of this board to sensitively acknowledge the subjective experiences that don't agree with their worldview. As in, talking to people as if they're children for the express purpose of making their experiences look bad, just because they want to demonstrate that those experiences are "wrong" according to their worldview.

It's easy to imagine an experience as being profound until you write it down or talk about it and realize that the experience was actually pretty mundane.

I rest my case.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.