This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"America's 5 Favorite Ways to Ignore Jesus"

#1SuibomPosted 12/29/2012 8:49:53 AM
I'm prepping a series of lessons for 2013 for my teens called "Ignoring Jesus: What Would Jesus Do (That We Don't)"

So I did a google to see what's already out there, for giggles sake, and I found this YouTube vid. http://youtu.be/yaqdFnjKClE

I admit, I lol'd. The 70's game show music was the icing.

Except at the praying bit. Too much, Miss Betty. Too much.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#2JonWood007Posted 12/29/2012 12:02:31 PM
Atheist video from the nonstampcollector more or less reaching the same conclusion. Good vid you posted btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLOUWl-L-s
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3Suibom(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 12:22:06 PM
Thanks.

I've seen that NSC vid before. We were quoting it for weeks.

I like some of NSC's stuff. His vid on cherry picking/misinterpreting context is pretty funny too.

"Hmmm.... Hmmm.... Hmmm.... THAT'S TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!!!"
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
#4OzymandiasIVPosted 12/29/2012 12:59:36 PM
Any way you could summarize all the points?
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#5Suibom(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 1:09:58 PM
1. Divorce
2. Materialism
3. Judging
4. Warmongering
5. Selfishness

It's only like a 3 minute video though, unless you can't watch it for some reason. But those are her five points. It's not the content, but the delivery, that's funny
---
#6AdmiralBisonPosted 1/2/2013 2:35:05 AM
A lot of Christians divorce.
A lot of the Churches are all about materialism with million dollar mega churches and temples in the meantime some kid in a third world country starves to death every day.
Judging is a Favourite Christian past time. Basically hell is for all non believers and blasphemers. Lets not forget infidels like gays, lesbians, Atheist, Agnostics, secularists, evolutionists, liberals, non Christians, democrats, women,..
War mongering is nothing new with Religion. The crusades come to mind and the fact that when armies go to war a lot of their leaders proclaim god is on their side as though it were divinely sanctioned.
Selfishness- here is a list of scamming evangelical pastors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scandals_involving_evangelical_Christians
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#7C_MatPosted 1/2/2013 11:04:44 AM
While I agree that all five of those are true, I disliked the implication that you can't be a good Christian and a Republican. Nor did I think anything about the video was funny.

And none of those five are the most frequent way people ignore Jesus: by adding legalistic doctrines to salvation instead of relying wholly on Christ's finished work.

And isn't it ironic that the woman points out that Christian's are too judgmental, yet she makes this video in the first place?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#8mikmalotPosted 1/2/2013 11:27:35 AM(edited)
C_Mat posted...
While I agree that all five of those are true, I disliked the implication that you can't be a good Christian and a Republican. Nor did I think anything about the video was funny.

Well, if pretty much every point she hits is part of the Republican Party platform...

-edit- except for divorce, of course. But even then, you could argue that parts of the Republican platform encourage the high divorce rate, as well
---
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
#9C_MatPosted 1/2/2013 11:40:03 AM
*checks Republican Party platform*

Nope, none of them are there.

Both Republicans and Democrats can be materialistic, judgmental, selfish, violent and get divorced. Both Democrats and Republicans can also follow their platforms without exhibiting any of those behaviors.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#10IvashankoPosted 1/2/2013 12:00:24 PM
War mongering is nothing new with Religion. The crusades come to mind

The Crusades were, by and large, a reaction against Islamic conquest of Christian territory- until the end of the Crusading period the majority of the people in the Holy Lands were Christian. The Crusades themselves only came as a response to the call of the Eastern Roman Empire, who's territory was under attack by Muslims. The attack on Spain is something similar (a reconquest), while the attack on North Africa was primarily against pirates. The Fourth Crusade's disaster was caused by greed rather than anything specific to any religion.

Maybe you know this and still judge it so- which is fine. But the mass majority of people talking about the Crusades are completely ignorant of them, which has long irritated me.