This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Someone once mentioned that Goliath would have had trouble standing

#1OrangeWizardPosted 12/29/2012 11:02:13 AM
....Unless he was a Nephilim. Because of the limits of the human body and whatnot.

And that topic was locked before I got to reply, but I just now remembered about the whole exchange.

My rebuttal is this: People lived to be 900+, 600+, and 400+ years old, according to the bible. I think it's safe to say that humans had different limits than what we prescribe to our fellow man today.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#2Stanger5150Posted 12/29/2012 11:13:39 AM
There's no evidence of a real Goliath, Nephilim or not. It's like theorizing how Zeus avoided shocking himself.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#3SuibomPosted 12/29/2012 11:23:45 AM
Because of his lightning rod.

Duh
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#4OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 11:31:51 AM
Stanger5150 posted...
There's no evidence of a real Goliath, Nephilim or not.

Excuse me, we're assuming certain things for the sake of argument. You can get right on out of here with your "GOD DOESN'T EXIST, THIS ARGUMENT IS INVALID" wails.

Go on, keep walking.
---
#5Stanger5150Posted 12/29/2012 11:43:01 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
There's no evidence of a real Goliath, Nephilim or not.

Excuse me, we're assuming certain things for the sake of argument. You can get right on out of here with your "GOD DOESN'T EXIST, THIS ARGUMENT IS INVALID" wails.

Go on, keep walking.

Nope. I think I'll stay. I'm curious about what everyone will say. And why "assume" it's true?
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#6OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 11:54:04 AM
Stanger5150 posted...

Nope. I think I'll stay. I'm curious about what everyone will say. And why "assume" it's true?

So we can talk about it and not have to reinvent the wheel with "This is why God exists... This is why the bible is true..." every single time.
---
#7OzymandiasIVPosted 12/29/2012 11:58:44 AM(edited)
From: OrangeWizard | Posted: 12/29/2012 2:02:13 PM | #001
My rebuttal is this: People lived to be 900+, 600+, and 400+ years old, according to the bible. I think it's safe to say that humans had different limits than what we prescribe to our fellow man today.

So... evolution? Of an incredibly fast variety? A backwards kind of evolution, but whatever. If we're no longer living even up to 200 years when we once lived up to 900 years, and we have different limits...

---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#8lastheroPosted 12/29/2012 12:05:17 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
....Unless he was a Nephilim. Because of the limits of the human body and whatnot.

And that topic was locked before I got to reply, but I just now remembered about the whole exchange.

That was me. Surprised you remembered.

First, as I put in that post from the other thread, some reading I did showed that Goliath's height has had some revisions over time. Even if we accept that he was a real person, it's entirely possible his height has been altered with retellings, and that the real guy, while big by human standards, wasn't taller than someone you might see today, like Shaq or something.

Second, while it's true the Bible purports people lived longer in the past, you're forgetting that these extreme ages are mostly Pre-Flood. After the Flood, the ages begin to drop. In fact, by David's time, it seems that people are livng mostly normal lifespans. So even if I accept that people at some point in the past had abnormal physiology that allowed them to live long life spans and grow to insane lengths, if those two traits are connected, as you seem to be saying, then as the life spans draw down, so, too, should the height limits. So whatever, you're proposing, I don't think it applies to Goliath.

Thirdly. what you're proposing doesn't make much sense from an archaeological point of view. Now, I remember someone mentioned that no Nephilim bones have ever been found, and you remarked that a lot of remains haven't been found. But if what you're proposing is true, human beings at some point in the past were structurally different than they are now. Maybe all of them weren't giants, but all of them had bodies that would allow for such growth. That would show. That would be a very obvious thing that any archaeologist worth his salt would be able to point out. We have bones of human remains that go back centuries before David's time, Noah's time, even Adam's time. You're basically saying that human beings as an entire race had these traits, and there's really nothing to support that. There is no indication that human beings ever had bodies that would even allow the possibility for that sort of growth. Ever.

You can't just scale up a creature and keep it the same way. If a biological creature is enlarged, it must have adaptations to handle the change in size. There is no indication that human beings ever did have such adaptations or that they could grow such adaptations.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#9Stanger5150Posted 12/29/2012 12:14:59 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Stanger5150 posted...

So we can talk about it and not have to reinvent the wheel with "This is why God exists... This is why the bible is true..." every single time.

I said nothing about God... I said there's no evidence of Goliath. Without any kind of evidence of the past existence of giants, it's impossible to speculate about how he stood upright.

Again, I said nothing about God... insecurity led you to believe I was talking about that.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#10Brett8Posted 12/29/2012 12:48:48 PM
Eh-neeek-chock!
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Brettyb16