This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

attn: Christians

#61lastheroPosted 1/1/2013 11:50:54 PM

Clearly you need a better way of determining this.

I'm open to suggestions. From the sound of it, deism is the best way to go if you believe in god. Anything else is just guessing.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#62OrangeWizardPosted 1/1/2013 11:59:52 PM
I'm open to suggestions.

Assume the bible is written honestly, follow things to their logical conclusions, and base what you believe on that.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#63mikmalotPosted 1/2/2013 2:56:36 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
good golly! jordan davis knows his stuff. God bless you brother. Stay strong. Its always refreshing to see a godly spirit on the boards. (there aint nothing but 5 of em)

Yep, because only those who fit into your narrow theology count as "Godly"
---
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
#64Imperator420Posted 1/2/2013 4:05:41 PM
lasthero posted...

Clearly you need a better way of determining this.

I'm open to suggestions. From the sound of it, deism is the best way to go if you believe in god. Anything else is just guessing.

Deism is also guessing.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#65Julian_CaesarPosted 1/3/2013 7:25:38 PM
As far as I know, Twain wasn't even an atheist. He WAS very critical of Christianity and Biblegod, however. Something that you and people like you need to figure out is that, just because someone finds your particular deity disgusting doesn't mean that they lack belief in or feel that way about all possible deities. In other words, the world doesn't revolve around you, your god, and your beliefs about him.

He wrote an emotionally stilted, comically erroneous, and hilariously bombastic "rebuttal" of the goodness of God. I really don't care what deity/ies he claimed to believe in, that qualifies him as being very angsty about God in general. And like it or not, the vast vast VAST majority of people who write tearfully angry diatribes against the Christian God are in fact atheist. The majority is so great that the term "angstheism" is appropriate here as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to quibble semantics that's fine, but stop with the absurd pretense that my use of the word somehow makes me self-centered. There are plenty of other things in my life that make me self-centered, but calling a duck a "duck" is not one of them.

You think criticism of Christianity is some new thing? Thomas Paine, Age of Reason, ever hear of it?

This wasn't criticism of Christianity. This was a raw emotional blog entry written by a very gifted writer and accomplished satirist. Calling this passage a "criticism" of God (or Christianity) is akin to calling LMS's posts "criticism" of atheism. It panders to the lowest common denominator of those who oppose the idea of a loving God: namely, the emotions that well up when a person feels that God couldn't possibly exist and be loving because of all the bad **** that has happened to them.

Suggesting that this passage was written out of academic thought processes is not only completely wrong, it's actually very insulting to Twain (if he did write it). Twain's gift was that he abhorred academia and structured thinking, to the point that his writing connected with an Americans on a deeply emotional level. This passage is no different, although it connects to those who believe God is not good rather than Americans in general.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.