This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do Christians cherry pick the good parts of the Bible?

#1ravenomoarPosted 12/31/2012 4:18:03 PM
Just looking to satisfy my curiosity. If one is going to follow a religion why not follow it in its entirety? or not follow it at all. There are references to a people that makes owning slaves acceptable in the bible, both new and old testament. Yet most people even modern day Christians are against slavery. So if you ignore the morals pre supposed in the bible how can you follow it at all? It would then appear that we do not get our morals from the bible but as a consequence of one's actions.

Why can't we just say it is rubbish and ignore it? Why do Christians have to try to be apologetic for it and twist the literal truth. If it was written as the word of god (which I quite doubt) do to the glaring contradictions in each gospels throughout, including the birthdate of Jesus, why do you not interpret it literally? I think we should wake up and interpret the Bible for what it is, a work of fiction. Comments appreciated.
#2DagorhaPosted 12/31/2012 4:21:21 PM
Most genuinely believe what they are saying is the truth in so far as how they read it. It isn't purposeful deceit. Just ignorance.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3ravenomoar(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 4:23:37 PM
It just dawned upon me that the answer may be quite simple. They do not actually read their own bible. Surely, if you only go to church you will never hear of the atrocities described in the bible.
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 12/31/2012 4:26:48 PM
Most aren't aware of the bad parts. Those that are either try to rationalize it by saying God must have had a good reason he didn't specify/he's perfect therefore anything he does is justified, things were different back then and therefore it's okay, or it was meant to be taken metaphorically. I find all of those rationalizations unconvincing.
#5SuibomPosted 12/31/2012 4:28:07 PM
Why just Christians, TC? Ask the Jews too.

Seriously, this is two topics from you knocking on the OT... And you're not even addressing the people whose main text IS the OT.

I wish a Jew would come in here and just go all OT on your smugness.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#6Polish_CrusaderPosted 12/31/2012 4:47:47 PM
The topic question is meaningless. All parts of the bible are good. The bible is an accumulative document. u cannot pick apart just one part and isolate from the others.
#7Lord_IchmaelPosted 12/31/2012 4:50:55 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
The topic question is meaningless. All parts of the bible are good. The bible is an accumulative document. u cannot pick apart just one part and isolate from the others.

Case in point.
#8Julian_CaesarPosted 12/31/2012 5:28:58 PM
If one is going to follow a religion why not follow it in its entirety? or not follow it at all. There are references to a people that makes owning slaves acceptable in the bible, both new and old testament. Yet most people even modern day Christians are against slavery. So if you ignore the morals pre supposed in the bible how can you follow it at all? It would then appear that we do not get our morals from the bible but as a consequence of one's actions.

How interesting. You're saying that Christians are not following the exact instructions located in the Bible. And yet, your reference for that matter is a subject (slavery) which is not once expressly indicated as "morally good" in Scriptures. God instructed the Hebrews how to treat their slaves. Paul encouraged the slaves to view their earthly bondage as an opportunity to display their spiritual freedom. In both cases, slavery is recognized as a cultural and social institution. It's not considered morally good or bad whatsoever. To paraphrase a famous Christian writer, "from the spiritual perspective...such things are largely considered raw materials."
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#9Polish_CrusaderPosted 12/31/2012 5:33:36 PM
the subject of slavery is probably the most misunderstood one in all bible debate.

Facts:
1.)The bible never endorses slavery. Nor does it condemn it.
2.)The slaves that were talked about in the bible were treated far differently than the slaves of 1800s america, which were treated worse than dogs (slaves in pharoahs egypt during book of exodus were allowed to have their own homes and posessions and what not)
3.)One of the biggest themes in the bible is servanthood. We are to be servants to god in all we do. Slave or free. This carries over into every aspect. The rich are to serve the poor. The poor are to serve the rich. We are to serve jesus. Jesus served god. Jesus served us by dying on the cross. The bible directly talks about how to treat slaves. The bible also states that if a slave master mistreats a slave badly he is to be killed (serious, look it up).
4.)We are all slaves. I am a slave to jesus. Some people are a slave to money. Some a slave to fame and prestige. Some a slave to a company. You know what someones god is by what is most important in their life. Whatever their god is, that is what they are a slave to.
#10Lord_IchmaelPosted 12/31/2012 5:42:55 PM
The Bible says it's okay to beat/whip slaves so long as you don't kill them. The fact that the Bible wasn't willing to condemn it indicates to me that it wasn't inspired by an omnibenevolent God, and therefore most likely was written by men who thought everything they wrote down made sense at the time.