This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

See? I told you, but you wouldn't believe me.

#1OrangeWizardPosted 1/2/2013 7:49:24 AM
You guys all doubted me when, during discussions of a global flood, I stated that the weight of the water couldn't push down the sea beds, but look.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/26/

Strangely, the Earth is actually not slowing down as much as you’d expect from tidal drag. The biggest reason for the discrepancy is that during the last ice age, the continents were pushed down by the weight of the glaciers, and they’re still springing back into place. This has the effect of shifting mass toward the poles, closer to the axis of rotation:

See? So if frozen water can push down a landmass, so can liquid water, provided enough of it is gathered over an area. That's where all the water went. The seabeds were pushed down due to this weight, allowing for more and more water to fit.

I'd imagine that if you removed all the water from the oceans, the seabeds would slowly rise.

So HA!
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#2lastheroPosted 1/2/2013 8:06:29 AM
That's where all the water went. The seabeds were pushed down due to this weight, allowing for more and more water to fit.

Pushing down like this would take a very, very, VERY long time. And where was the water in the first place?
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#3LastManStandingPosted 1/2/2013 8:12:48 AM
People will dispute any physical evidence.
Put it all in God's hands that in His infinite mercy, He will grant them the grace to turn towards him.
Non believers suffer greatly. Let's all pray for them.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#4OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 8:38:37 AM
Pushing down like this would take a very, very, VERY long time.

Show your work.

And where was the water in the first place?

Perhaps up in the thermosphere. Perhaps God just created it out of nothing.
---
#5lastheroPosted 1/2/2013 8:55:33 AM

If you feel that God making the water out of nothing is a suitable explanation for where it came from, why bother with trying to find a natural explanation for where it went to? He could have just made it disappear.
---
#6GBALoserPosted 1/2/2013 8:56:12 AM
lasthero posted...

If you feel that God making the water out of nothing is a suitable explanation for where it came from, why bother with trying to find a natural explanation for where it went to? He could have just made it disappear.

At least he didn't use the ice shield "theory".
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#7OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 8:56:39 AM

He could have, but probably didn't, otherwise it wouldn't have taken 40 days.
---
#8lastheroPosted 1/2/2013 9:06:02 AM
He could have, but probably didn't, otherwise it wouldn't have taken 40 days.

If the water was all suspended above the world - wow - and it all fell at the same time, why would that take 40 days to fall? Why would it even fall like rain?
---
#9OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 9:09:32 AM

If the water was all suspended above the world - wow - and it all fell at the same time, why would that take 40 days to fall? Why would it even fall like rain?

Because he wanted to kill people by drowning, not by crushing them with a wall of water.
---
#10GBALoserPosted 1/2/2013 9:12:36 AM
See? So if frozen water can push down a landmass, so can liquid water, provided enough of it is gathered over an area. That's where all the water went. The seabeds were pushed down due to this weight, allowing for more and more water to fit.

The water from the flood you are talking about was evenly distributed across ALL landmass. The weight would indeed push down on the continents, but it would not have the effect on rotation your XKCD post was postulating.

Glaciers from the last Ice age covered half of North America, parts of Russia, and almost all of Europe. All that additional weight focused on one particular side would force the landmass towards the equator, creating the scenario exhibited by your XKCD postulation.

I'd imagine that if you removed all the water from the oceans, the seabeds would slowly rise.

Yes, that tends to happen when you remove all water from an area.

Because he wanted to kill people by drowning, not by crushing them with a wall of water.

And he didn't take other people building boats into account because.....?
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman