This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If somebody you knew started an entirely new religion

#1Imperator420Posted 1/2/2013 3:55:27 PM
How many of you would tell him that he was off his rocker?
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#2kozlo100Posted 1/2/2013 4:02:21 PM
That would depend entirely on whether or not he was actually off his rocker. Starting a religion isn't invariably evidence to that effect.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 4:03:44 PM
kozlo100 posted...
That would depend entirely on whether or not he was actually off his rocker. Starting a religion isn't invariably evidence to that effect.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I will treat your answer as "depends", "maybe" or "conditional".
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#4kozlo100Posted 1/2/2013 5:09:50 PM
Really? You don't think there's any way for a sane person to found a religion?

If you're asking if I'll be honest about my estimation of their mental state, the answer is yes I would.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 5:38:24 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Really? You don't think there's any way for a sane person to found a religion?

If you're asking if I'll be honest about my estimation of their mental state, the answer is yes I would.

Well, of course not. There also liars like L. Ron Hubbard and (I suspect) Joseph Smith.
---
#6IvashankoPosted 1/2/2013 5:46:43 PM
I would be interested in what they had to say, in all honesty. I've always wanted to see the birth of a new religion.
#7kozlo100Posted 1/2/2013 5:47:25 PM
There is the possibility of deceit, yes. I'd also say those founding religions not concerning themselves with the supernatural, as well as those in the extraordinary circumstance of actually communicating with a god or other supernatural being, could do so while in full possession of their mental faculties.
---
#8Hustle KongPosted 1/2/2013 5:48:13 PM(edited)
I'm going to pop on a couple of "What Kozlo Said"s, and roll my eyes at TC.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9SuibomPosted 1/2/2013 5:49:26 PM
Imperator420 posted...

Well, of course not. There also liars like... and (I suspect) Joseph Smith.

</facepalm>

Knowing your audience is always a good thing...
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#10Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 6:01:24 PM
kozlo100 posted...
There is the possibility of deceit, yes. I'd also say those founding religions not concerning themselves with the supernatural, as well as those in the extraordinary circumstance of actually communicating with a god or other supernatural being, could do so while in full possession of their mental faculties.

I do not know of anything that I'd consider a religion without a supernatural dimension. If you could provide one, I'd be happy to admit my mistake and amend my statement to concern only those religions that make supernatural claims.

And yes, they certainly could in such an 'extraordinary circumstance.' I accept the possibility that none of what I do is actually happening because I'm mentally defective in some serious way, and that my perception of the world and my life thus far has been entirely illusory. But if such were the case, I would have no means of knowing it, and somebody explaining their new religion to me would certainly not convince me that I was insane in that way.

I also accept that in some extraordinary circumstance, Dr. Who might contact me and request my help in saving the universe. It would mean that what we thought were the physical laws of the universe are nonsense, and that nearly everything I have known about anything has been a figment of my mind or a lie. It's possible, in some really abstract theoretical sense of the word 'possible', but I have absolutely zero reason to entertain or consider such a possibility.
---