This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's talk about cults

#1darkmaian23Posted 1/7/2013 3:16:18 PM
Aside from certain religions that people post about here that some might consider to be cults (namely Mormonism and JW), I've seen no discussions at all about cults. Have you had any experiences with the popular cults out there? I unfortunately have had an on again off again relationship with a fairly obscure one. It is so embarrassing and painful that I'd rather not talk about it.

But reading up on the matter recently has made me more aware of the phenomenon in general and I thought I'd bring it up here as I've not seen it addressed here before. I hope it doesn't seem too unfair that I'd rather not talk about my specific experience. Thanks to all who contribute. Please feel free to critique this topic if you don't like it. I know that not all of my topics here have been very productive, but it is sometimes difficult to make sense of things by yourself.

At least that has been my experience. ^_^
#2ThuggernautzPosted 1/7/2013 3:37:47 PM
The only cult I've had close contact with are JWs. Their practice of shunning and disfellowship forced a close friend to attempt suicide on a couple of different occasions. I have no love for their practice or cult.

Thankfully, said friend is doing much better now but it took a lot of work.
#3Hustle KongPosted 1/7/2013 3:59:11 PM
I've had minor dealings with those Osho guys.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 4:48:27 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
The only cult I've had close contact with are JWs. Their practice of shunning and disfellowship forced a close friend to attempt suicide on a couple of different occasions. I have no love for their practice or cult.

Thankfully, said friend is doing much better now but it took a lot of work.

I'm glad to hear your friend is doing better. It can be a difficult thing to get over.
#5JonWood007Posted 1/7/2013 4:49:20 PM
When you come right down to it Christianity started out as a cult. I mean, just look at the new testament writings about avoiding everything that's "worldly" and all. Heck, most religions could classify to a degree as cults. The only difference between a cult and a religion is really social acceptability.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#6Magyar15Posted 1/7/2013 4:49:36 PM
I have a large number of Mormon friends, some of whom I had a number of religious discussions with. I've also taled with some people from a group called the Church of God: World Mission Society, a cult coming from South Korea founded by some guy who claimed to be the second coming of Christ; he has passed away and the group is now run by his wife
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#7CuddleWithClawsPosted 1/7/2013 8:51:54 PM(edited)
To me, it's always seemed that "cult" is a misnomer which is often used to imply that those who belong to one are renegades or heretics. It's like saying a faith is a religion, but not a true religion. It's snobbery.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#8HylanKnightPosted 1/8/2013 1:15:22 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
It's like saying a faith is a religion, but not a true religion. It's snobbery.

This

I happen to be a member of a church that is being referred to here as a cult. I'm a mormon. I've been told that my church is a cult before, and I've never understood why. It seems to me that most people are fuzzy on the definition of a cult to the point that the word has devolved to just mean "a religion that I don't respect."
#9FlashOfLightPosted 1/9/2013 6:57:56 AM
I suggest adding to this topic an often not discussed exposure of cults, which are fraterneties and sororities, or otherwise known as the Greek Letter Organizations, from which the main bulk of universities in the United States and Canada willingly and openly participate in, and even recommend.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#10FlashOfLightPosted 1/9/2013 7:12:40 AM
HylanKnight posted...

I happen to be a member of a church that is being referred to here as a cult. I'm a mormon. I've been told that my church is a cult before, and I've never understood why. It seems to me that most people are fuzzy on the definition of a cult to the point that the word has devolved to just mean "a religion that I don't respect."

One of the reasons why we consider Mormonism to be a cult is because of plain warnings we have in the Bible about someone else bringing in another doctrine or another Christ, Mormonism introduces another Christ, gradually tries to erase the Biblical Christ, and leads its members to believe in another salvation and separate destiny than that found in the Christian Bible.

The Scriptures have much to say about it, but in short it does need to go any further than the admonition already given -

Romans 16:17 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.