This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's talk about cults

#41SystemafunkPosted 1/11/2013 2:03:18 PM
The difference kozlo is that Deuteronomy is just talking about the "Law." Not the scriptures themselves. Otherwise, all the rest of the OT, or the Tanach, would be in err.
#42kozlo100Posted 1/11/2013 2:24:11 PM
The LDS position seems to be that the Revelations verse is just talking about that specific book of prophecy, and not all scriptures. Isn't that a pretty equivalent claim?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#43SystemafunkPosted 1/11/2013 2:32:48 PM
There are other verses with Jesus himself saying to not "add" to scripture. And that doesn't mean to not write more. But he was indicating that what was written down should line up with previous scripture.

My claim is that things in the Book of Mormon conflict. It adds new stuff. New ideas. Not extrapolations of old ideas. It also poses Jesus coming again, and Jesus said he would not come again until the end.
#44kozlo100Posted 1/11/2013 3:16:26 PM
Ah, well that makes more sense then.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#45Joe605Posted 1/13/2013 10:20:42 AM
The only difference between a cult and a religion is that in a religion, the guy at the top who knows it is nonsense is dead.

This whole board deals with cults lol, what you talking about Willis?
---
Bowling IS a sport.
Gary Johnson 2012, lets bring some actual change to America
#46SystemafunkPosted 1/16/2013 6:05:13 AM
And just for the record, I'm not saying that Mormons are not Christians, or at least I'm not saying that none of them are.

The only thing that really matters, in the long run, is that you know Christ, and that Christ knows you. Christ is your advocate. The only way to the Father is through Christ, and that is what that really boils down to. Not whether you think saying His name over and over again is important. Not how much you go to church, or even if you do or have at all. Not even whether you actually know Christ by name, or whether you have actually come to hear the message of the Bible. It's just easier and more guaranteed if you do or have.