This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Atheists Just Kill Themselves?

#1Thanos_GalactusPosted 1/10/2013 11:49:09 PM
"Evangelical radio personality Janet Mefferd ponders why Atheists might want to bother living"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqOIrQvls8

And all i got to say it.... lol.
#2Faust_8Posted 1/11/2013 12:04:04 AM
"I need God, why doesn't everybody need God?"

Flawless logic.

Also I wonder why the heck all those Hindus and Buddhists and Muslims and so on don't off themselves. After all, they're not REALLY feeling God's love.

I wonder if this guy is just another guy paid to be ridiculous because that makes people listen.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#3darklaoPosted 1/11/2013 12:11:19 AM
I find those things more depressing than offensive. As it basically implies that the Christian sees nothing worthwhile in a life without God. And I mean if I had such a s***ty view of existence that I needed a guy to order me not to kill myself, well it's no wonder they choose to believe.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#4kozlo100Posted 1/11/2013 12:28:00 AM
This atheist is fond of existence, and is not keen to give it up.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5ThuggernautzPosted 1/11/2013 8:16:10 AM
kozlo100 posted...
This atheist is fond of existence, and is not keen to give it up.

Fond of existence, and constantly excited about future potential.
#6SystemafunkPosted 1/11/2013 8:51:24 AM
I think this is grossly misunderstood.

It is more about the perspective of what going from the Christian perspective to the atheist perspective would be like, not merely what an atheist would actually think. It is because someone who really truly believes in God really can't imagine what it is like to not believe in God anymore.

And I don't find it depressing saying that I wouldn't want to live without God. Mostly though because I don't have to. My only reason for living is God, but that doesn't mean that it negates or lessens my other affections. In fact, it strengthens them. To love the people in my life IS to love God. That becomes part of the equation, not separate from it.

I wonder if this guy is just another guy paid to be ridiculous because that makes people listen.

It was a lady, so you didn't really listen. Further, she doesn't ever imply what you are implying.
#7SystemafunkPosted 1/11/2013 8:52:16 AM
And she never says atheists should kill themselves. To take the youtube title as the gist of the short monologue is not wise.
#8JonWood007Posted 1/11/2013 10:14:05 AM
I don't deny that the christian perspective gives people a sense of hope, and a sense that life has meaning. I've heard stories of people saved by suicide because of finding religion. I don't deny these stories, but to claim that you absolutely NEED religion to not want to kill yourself is ridiculous. Sure, we atheists get rid of a lot of these assumptions we think about how the universe works. We dont believe there is a magic sky fairy that we can count on looking out for us. But then again, I'd argue in some cases, the whole sky fairy looking out for us thing leads to all kinds of philosophical issues when you look at what's wrong with the world, and most christian answers you can see right through if you recognize them for what they are, BS made up to explain other BS.

I dont deny there will likely be tough parts of my life in the future, but hopefully, there will be a lot of good parts too. Life is what we make of it. We may not have total control, but we can still find happiness in living our own lives.

And I agree with the ending of that video with Christopher Hitchens. I cant say I'm a big fan of his, but I agree with him here, a major problem with religion is it devalues this life in the pursuit of the next.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9LastManStandingPosted 1/11/2013 10:26:54 AM
That is a very dangerous radio station, should be fined, for spreading garbage like that. God loves us all.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#10devilupstevePosted 1/11/2013 11:27:14 AM
LastManStanding posted...
That is a very dangerous radio station, should be fined, for spreading garbage like that. God loves us all.

Newsflash! LMS has nothing intelligent to say.
---
I've gone to find myself, if I get back before I return, keep me here.