This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need a definition of faith that is precise.

#1XigbarPosted 1/12/2013 7:34:44 AM
It seems that faith is neither synonymous with knowledge nor hope, despite coming conspicuously close to one or the other rather often. When you say

"I have faith in God being real", it isn't exactly the same thing as saying any of the following:

A) "It is my opinion that God is real"

B) "It is my knowledge that God is real."

C) "I hope that God is real"

If you don't believe me on that, try insinuating to any Christian that either A, B, or C is congruent with a statement of religious belief in God's existence. If any Christians reading this want to prove me wrong and equate faith with one of the three, your input is highly encouraged., but I am doubtful that any of you will.

So, what precisely is faith?
---
I aim to misbehave.
#2myzz7Posted 1/12/2013 7:41:17 AM
So, what precisely is faith?

It is the presumption of knowledge in the entity without causational evidence.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
Gilda doesn't give a flying feather about what you think!
#3Xigbar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 7:52:58 AM
I'm pretty sure my Christians here can back me up on faith=/= presumed knowledge. Though it would not look good for them if they couldn't provide a worthy alternative definition.
---
I aim to misbehave.
#4OrangeWizardPosted 1/12/2013 8:29:42 AM
Would you rather take a definition from the Bible instead?

Hebrews 11:1
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#5kirsybuuPosted 1/12/2013 10:16:20 AM
I gave a definition in a topic a little while ago:

Faith is that which is used to justify certainty in a belief in the absence of sufficient proof/evidence to justify that certainty.

Thus "I have faith that God exist" means "I cannot justify the existence of God using proof/evidence but I am certain God exists."
---
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128
#6JonWood007Posted 1/12/2013 10:32:31 AM
A is pretty much the closest to my definition. It's an opinion more than anything. C might play into it too.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#7Hustle KongPosted 1/12/2013 11:24:47 AM
Faith, like justice, may be one of those ideas that is difficult to pin down, as it will differ somewhat depending on whom you ask.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#8the_hedonistPosted 1/12/2013 11:32:35 AM
There is no reason to believe that faith contradicts reason or is without reason. The apostles saw the risen Christ in person; should it be said they did not have faith? No. Faith is trust in a person, which inherently includes belief in that person's existence. The amount of reason used to bolster that assumed belief will vary from person to person.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#9SuibomPosted 1/12/2013 12:28:02 PM
For me, faith is two things:

1. Belief - I believe because in me there is an inescapable drawing to something that is unseen. For me, it's the Godhead of the Father, Son, and Spirit, and to their Word.

2. Trust - I trust because of my own personal experiences of conviction of my sins, acceptance in salvation, and testimonies of the Bible and Holy Spirit's workings in my life; confirming the Bible's promises with accompanying signs.

It's not blind faith. It's not impersonal faith.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#10HylanKnightPosted 1/12/2013 4:07:06 PM
Another problem with defining faith is that there are different levels of faith. There's the weaker kinds of faith: blind faith, having faith in something just because you don't see why not, saying you have faith in something just because you hope it's true or you like the idea, or having faith in another person who says something is true. Then there's stronger faith based on personal spiritual experiences, and resolving doubts. There are also three phases of faith in God. The first one being simply a belief, the second being actions in accordance with the belief, and the highest is being able to receive miracles and help from God.