This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need a definition of faith that is precise.

#331GegengegengegenPosted 1/31/2013 8:24:57 AM
AynRandySavage posted...
argument from ignorance. I've said nothing to make anyone think that I haven't given your arguments the full benefit of the doubt.

You both misunderstood, sorry. My point was that by not admitting bias, you haven't shot yourself in the foot rhetorically. I don't know how biased you are personally.

You haven't done that to all the people calling you a sophist on the stackexchange.

Oh snap

It was unfortunate, but I'd do it again if necessary.

Unfortunately again, I can attest to this. I can't attest to the fact that he's made much progress in remedying that.

He's admitted that he has flaws, specifically with regards to all the things you're attacking him for, so that's something.
#332AynRandySavagePosted 1/31/2013 10:42:22 AM
Iamvegito posted...
Paul Tillich has a good definition that is broadly applicable.
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/tillich.html

I can't make heads or tails of any of this.
#333cyclonekrusePosted 1/31/2013 4:20:25 PM
Gegengegengegen posted...
You both misunderstood, sorry. My point was that by not admitting bias, you haven't shot yourself in the foot rhetorically. I don't know how biased you are personally.

I don't think rhetoric is my concern outside of making my points clearly. Being "convincing" isn't what I'm going for. Figuring out what makes sense is.

Oh snap

Those people aren't my interlocutors. I am not in an exchange with them so I don't see the need to ask them anything. Especially considering they only know me through the lens of ARS. That right there would answer my question.

He's admitted that he has flaws, specifically with regards to all the things you're attacking him for, so that's something.

It is noteworthy that his attacks on me are seen as acceptable but if I say anything negative it's pounced upon.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#334GegengegengegenPosted 1/31/2013 6:49:03 PM
cyclonekruse posted...

I don't think rhetoric is my concern outside of making my points clearly. Being "convincing" isn't what I'm going for. Figuring out what makes sense is.

You're not doing that either though.

Those people aren't my interlocutors. I am not in an exchange with them so I don't see the need to ask them anything.

That doesn't make any sense, they're calling you all sorts of nasty things. The only reason I can see you not wondering why is if Ayn has been misrepresenting you, has he?
#335OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 7:07:03 PM
Iamvegito posted...
Paul Tillich has a good definition that is broadly applicable.
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/tillich.html

I can't make heads or tails of any of this.

Same
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#336cyclonekrusePosted 1/31/2013 9:13:49 PM
Gegengegengegen posted...
You're not doing that either though.

I disagree. What we're discussing may be more "meta" but we're discussing what is and is not acceptable in exchanges. We're hashing that out.

That doesn't make any sense, they're calling you all sorts of nasty things. The only reason I can see you not wondering why is if Ayn has been misrepresenting you, has he?

Well when he primes them by saying I'm intellectually naive and only shares what he believes to be egregious errors that's going to color their opinions of me. And I feel no need to approach people with whom I've never shared a word and ask them what they think of me and why. That just strikes as needing everyone to like you. Again what I said only applies to people with whom I've had actual interactions.

You're query here seems to be just an attempt at a "gotcha" moment more than anything. Why do you think I should care about the opinions of people with whom I've never spoken?
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#337GegengegengegenPosted 2/1/2013 2:08:22 PM
cyclonekruse posted...
but we're discussing what is and is not acceptable in exchanges. We're hashing that out.

You're not really even doing that though. Since you've told him you're not trying to convince him of anything and that you're naturally biased against whatever he says. And now you're ignoring him completely for some reason.

Well when he primes them by saying I'm intellectually naive and only shares what he believes to be egregious errors that's going to color their opinions of me.

Not if they end up agreeing with the supposed errors. I imagine it'd be more likely that they'd thinkhe was intellectually naive. Which brings us to the question of whether you think your positions were misrepresented in the things that Ayn Randy Savage linked you. I read through one of them, and I didn't see any mention of him calling you intellectually naive, but I did see one instance of you being called a sophist after he gave(in my mind) a pretty reasonable summary of what I suppose to be one of your positions.

You're query here seems to be just an attempt at a "gotcha" moment more than anything. Why do you think I should care about the opinions of people with whom I've never spoken?

Why should you care about the opinions of people with whom you have spoken?