This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If your kid gets into religion (or leaves your religion), how will you react?

#1TheWetRatPosted 1/12/2013 6:03:54 PM
Let's say your ten-year old son walks into the living room and says "Dad, I think I'm a Christian. I want to start going to church." What do you do?

If you're a theist, it's the other way around. Your son walks into the living room and says "Dad, I don't think I believe. I want to stop going to church."

If you're LMS, your kid walks into the living room and says "Dad, I utterly cannot see, the meaning, if any, in Holy Catholic Church. Vicar of Christ (Bishop of Rome) does not hold authority. So many options! To explore ideas, is vital. To be ceasing in the Sacrament of the Eucharist now."
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#2ForsakenHermitPosted 1/12/2013 6:16:55 PM
As a theist who doesn't go to church, I'd tell him its ok that he doesn't believe in God, because many of Dad's friends and even his uncle are a mix of atheists and agnostics.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#3OrangeWizardPosted 1/12/2013 6:31:54 PM(edited)
If you're a theist, it's the other way around. Your son walks into the living room and says "Dad, I don't think I believe. I want to stop going to church."

"Well we'll just have to keep going and study twice as hard until you believe!"

10 years old is not the age of making reasoned, life-changing decisions.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/12/2013 6:34:07 PM
I hope to avoid the topic entirely for a while. If my kid says that, I'll try to explain why I think they're wrong. If that doesn't work, well... I don't know if I'd be willing to take time out of my day to take my kid to something I consider useless. I've seriously wondered about how much more greenhouse gas emissions and traffic accidents must be caused by people going to church (Same for divorcees with children and so on).
#5roduPosted 1/12/2013 7:03:09 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

"Well we'll just have to keep going and study twice as hard until you believe!"

10 years old is not the age of making reasoned, life-changing decisions.
#6bratt100Posted 1/12/2013 7:31:07 PM
I would inform him that he would need to find transport to go to his new church. I would also go over the concepts of the religion and give him the actual historical background behind many of there beliefs. I would then get into evolution and the big bang.

In other words I would do everything in my power to help them make a rational decision based on the facts and if they choose to believe in non-sense, well I have done my part atleast.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 1/12/2013 8:09:13 PM
I agree that 10 is pretty young for this sort of thinking.

Gonna pretend the TC said "15", though, just because that is more believable and it allows me to answer his questions.

No harshly negative reactions. I would ask for his reasons and we would just talk about it from time to time and I would make sure he knows that I love him and, although I think it is a big deal, I respect him. Maybe read up on a variety of different religions together, if he is particularly curious.

Ultimately, Id do what I could, but I firmly believe overtly negative reactions just drive folks away.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#8SirThinkALotPosted 1/12/2013 9:20:24 PM
I'd tell him the same thing my parents did when I brought up the subject. 'I'll be happy to help you help you find or learn more if you need me to.'
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#9darklaoPosted 1/13/2013 9:49:57 AM(edited)
"Well that's not gonna make your Mom and Grandma happy, but whatevs. Let's play some Skylanders, yo." (because they already go to church)

I realize that the whole point is for the kid to have a faith opposite your own, but that's already happening, and I'm supportive of that. If he decided that he didn't believe any of it and wanted to stop going to church (unlikely, imo, based on what he believes now), I would be supportive of that, too. If he wanted to ruin my Sunday and get taken to try some different churches, I would be slightly bummed, but I would consider it my duty.

If he wanted to hang out on Sunday mornings and drink coffee and play video games while doing some light laundry, now that would be perfect.

---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#10BlankDMNPosted 1/13/2013 2:28:45 PM
Based on the way if probably raise my hypothetical child, I'd let them know that going to church would mean they'll probably miss football. If I've done my job, that should handle it until they're old enough for a real conversation about it, around 15-16.
---
An Atheist in a Foxhole