This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just read some interesting historical article on Martin Luther - one word shock

#131GegengegengegenPosted 1/25/2013 10:34:09 AM
God has never answered a prayer to re-grow a lost limb
#132fudrickPosted 1/25/2013 10:34:58 AM
Ivashanko posted...
I have not the first idea what the statistics are, or how to even study them (excepting things such as healing time in hospitals, life expectancy increased for those who pray, etc). My point is not that his feeling is wrong, really, but rather that arguments must be backed up by something, which neither he, nor I, nor anyone else really has.

Fair enough
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#133Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/25/2013 10:46:21 AM(edited)
Something like 0/10,000,000,000,000,000 I'd imagine (just a guess; includes prayers to every deity in history).

Edit: Actually more like 100,000,000,000,000 to 2,000,000,000,000,000.
#134IvashankoPosted 1/25/2013 10:44:34 AM
Something like 0/1,000,000,000,000,000,000 I'd imagine (just a guess; includes prayers to every deity in history).

Again, I am asking for statistics, not feelings.

Though, my own 'feeling' would be that even if there is no God in the world, that things occur much more often than that are 'answers to prayer'.
#135Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/25/2013 10:47:27 AM
MANY studies have shown that prayer does nothing whatsoever, no matter who does the praying, who's prayed for, whether the person being prayed for knows they're being prayed for, or what deity/etc. is being prayed to.
#136IvashankoPosted 1/25/2013 11:02:16 AM(edited)
MANY studies have shown that prayer does nothing whatsoever, no matter who does the praying, who's prayed for, whether the person being prayed for knows they're being prayed for, or what deity/etc. is being prayed to.

And many others shows that prayer is effective. A report by the British Medical Journal in 2001 said that those who pray had lower blood pressure (through an increase of some sort of homeostatic mechanism- I don't remember which one). It is commonly accepted knowledge in many of the world's nation's medical professions, and is generally accepted by psychiatrists at large, that prayer aids in recovery times for patients at hospitals. A recent study in 2008 showed that happiness and average amount of prayer per week are positively correlated. The three universally accepted studies on third-party prayers (Byrd 1988, Harris et al. 1999, and Sicher et al. 1998) showed positive effects.

It goes without saying that all of these can be explained away without actually using divine intervention- but to imply that a large majority of studies show that it is worthless is, quite frankly, ignorant of the actual work that has been done on the subject.
#137LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 11:17:23 AM
If you add all the people that pray to God on Earth, people in purgatory that pray for us on Earth, and everyone who prays in heaven, there is over a billion if not more than trillion prayers per day for God to handle. Imagine that.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#138fudrickPosted 1/25/2013 11:19:21 AM
LastManStanding posted...
If you add all the people that pray to God on Earth, people in purgatory that pray for us on Earth, and everyone who prays in heaven, there is over a billion if not more than trillion prayers per day for God to handle. Imagine that.

Yes, I'm sure it's so difficult for him to handle with his omnipotence and such.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#139IvashankoPosted 1/25/2013 11:21:07 AM

Read what I wrote before, on the last page.
#140Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/26/2013 12:05:06 PM
Ivashanko posted...

And many others shows that prayer is effective. A report by the British Medical Journal in 2001 said that those who pray had lower blood pressure (through an increase of some sort of homeostatic mechanism- I don't remember which one). It is commonly accepted knowledge in many of the world's nation's medical professions, and is generally accepted by psychiatrists at large, that prayer aids in recovery times for patients at hospitals. A recent study in 2008 showed that happiness and average amount of prayer per week are positively correlated. The three universally accepted studies on third-party prayers (Byrd 1988, Harris et al. 1999, and Sicher et al. 1998) showed positive effects.

It goes without saying that all of these can be explained away without actually using divine intervention- but to imply that a large majority of studies show that it is worthless is, quite frankly, ignorant of the actual work that has been done on the subject.

I have heard of other studies that found that prayer had positive and, for some, negative correlations. I'll admit I haven't looked into it much.