This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does creating a sentient being give you the right to mistreat it?

#71bratt100Posted 2/4/2013 11:17:15 PM
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...
Almost all of your evidence comes from that book of yours and that simply isn't enough. There are more sources to support Alexander the great then there are to support Jesus even existing and Alexander was born some 356 years before jesus. So a man who pre dates christ by hundreds of years is better supported then the savior of all mankind.

Well, wouldn't that be expected?

Not if these where real events. He brought the dead back to life, turned water into wine and cured leprosy supposedly with many witnesses and yet none wrote of the man while he was alive...they took there sweet time until you could no longer refute these claims as the people who had witnessed it where long since dead.

Where Alexander is different is in the fact that he was established as real by his enemies as well as his followers.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#72OrangeWizardPosted 2/4/2013 11:19:22 PM
and yet none wrote of the man while he was alive...

How do you know?
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#73bratt100Posted 2/4/2013 11:20:18 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
OW-

What? I hardly said anything in this thread

oops sorry about that.
JC
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#74fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 11:26:08 PM
bratt100 posted...
Not if these where real events. He brought the dead back to life, turned water into wine and cured leprosy supposedly with many witnesses and yet none wrote of the man while he was alive...they took there sweet time until you could no longer refute these claims as the people who had witnessed it where long since dead.

Where Alexander is different is in the fact that he was established as real by his enemies as well as his followers.

That's kind of my point, though. There are way more people who would have had a reason or the knowledge to write of Alexander while he was alive. He ruled a large empire. How many of those witnesses of Christ's actions even had the ability to write, if you had to guess?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#75bratt100Posted 2/4/2013 11:32:15 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
and yet none wrote of the man while he was alive...

How do you know?

The secular writings about jesus where around 50-70 years after his death and given the average lifespan at the time it's not likely that any living person had even met the man.
---
#76bratt100Posted 2/4/2013 11:48:59 PM(edited)
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...

That's kind of my point, though. There are way more people who would have had a reason or the knowledge to write of Alexander while he was alive. He ruled a large empire. How many of those witnesses of Christ's actions even had the ability to write, if you had to guess?

I think that would be a good point but if sooo many people wrote of alexander 300 years before jesus, that tells us the literacy wasn't as bad as we assume. There wh\ere many different writings of the time and it is hard to think that they where written with no audience in mind. In fact Rome had a literacy rate of about %10 which is one in ten...if hundreds of people witnessed both the crucifixion and resurrection why didn't this %10 write it down? Especially when these events where so mind blowing.

Now I'm not saying that the literacy rate compares to the modern day, I'm just saying that it was probably much higher then we give it credit for.
---
#77fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 11:48:32 PM
bratt100 posted...
I think that would be a good point but if sooo many people wrote of alexander 300 years before jesus, that tells us the literacy wasn't as bad as we assume. There where many different writings of the time and it is hard to think that they where written with no audience in mind.

Now I'm not saying that the literacy rate compares to the modern day, I'm just saying that it was probably much higher then we give it credit for.

Again... Alexander led a huge empire. Any historian or scholar in much of Europe, Asia, and Africa would have been likely to write of his exploits. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked into all the sources we have about Alexander from his time, you won't find anything written by a random peasant, or a footsoldier, or anything.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#78SCAMaz0nPosted 2/5/2013 12:54:07 AM
I'm surprised I missed this topic.
I've been coming to terms with the outright terror and near daily (no scratch that, DAILY) assault I suffered as a chld and now the PTSD I have because of it.
The topic i made could be of interest if you want to examine my view of how the loving god vs. the suffering is nothing but an unsolved paradox from the human point of view.
---
DefeatBachmann2014.com & DefeatSteveKing2014.com. Delicious GOP tears: http://tinyurl.com/bq6b2qr
85% of statistics are made up, are you part of the 15%?
#79bratt100Posted 2/5/2013 4:33:12 AM
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...
I think that would be a good point but if sooo many people wrote of alexander 300 years before jesus, that tells us the literacy wasn't as bad as we assume. There where many different writings of the time and it is hard to think that they where written with no audience in mind.

Again... Alexander led a huge empire. Any historian or scholar in much of Europe, Asia, and Africa would have been likely to write of his exploits. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked into all the sources we have about Alexander from his time, you won't find anything written by a random peasant, or a footsoldier, or anything.

Jesus is the literal god. The savior of mankind and the "leader" of 2.2 billion people world wide. Perhaps Alexander wasn't the best comparison but the question still stands, a man who walks on water can raise the dead, cure disease and return from the dead..you'd think somebody would write something down in the first 70 years after he died...instead we have second and third hand accounts about a man who most likely never performed any actual miracles.

He is no more believable then any other cult figure at that time. Many people made claims similar to Jesus and many also had followers who would back these people up. Why is Jesus so special? These other people are disregarded but Jesus is somehow immune to the same criticism in the eyes of Christians. It's kinda pathetic.
---
#80fudrickPosted 2/5/2013 4:36:50 AM
bratt100 posted...
Jesus is the literal god. The savior of mankind and the "leader" of 2.2 billion people world wide. Perhaps Alexander wasn't the best comparison but the question still stands, a man who walks on water can raise the dead, cure disease and return from the dead..you'd think somebody would write something down in the first 70 years after he died...instead we have second and third hand accounts about a man who most likely never performed any actual miracles.

So do you think that many of the people who would have witnessed these miracles, if they did take place, would have the ability to write about them?
---
Best FCs: