This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would any Christians be interested in...

#1fire adeptPosted 1/17/2013 12:48:32 PM
reading an article I wrote on why I don't believe in Christianity any longer, and why I believe the Abrahamic religions to be terribly fake? Perhaps, writing a response to it and WHY i'm wrong.
---
Currently Playing: Grandia II (DC) Super Mario World (SNES)
Last Played: Final Fantasy II/IV (SNES)
#2ThuggernautzPosted 1/17/2013 12:55:17 PM
Predicted response:

You weren't truly seeking God, or your heart wasn't open.
#3WelshGamer82Posted 1/17/2013 1:08:31 PM
I doubt I'll have any interest in writing a response, but feel free to post the link. I have no objection to reading it.
#4SystemafunkPosted 1/17/2013 1:24:55 PM
I might point out some misinterpretations you had that could have contributed to it, but otherwise, I don't think that everyone who falls away wasn't truly searching.

I'm sorry you didn't see any value or truth in it.
#5Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/17/2013 1:26:22 PM
Systemafunk posted...
I might point out some misinterpretations you had that could have contributed to it, but otherwise, I don't think that everyone who falls away wasn't truly searching.

I'm sorry you didn't see any value or truth in it.

Systemafunk > Polish.

I'm a non-believer too, but I wouldn't expect personal anecdotes to convince anyone to change sides (except those already leaning towards doing so) or even think your position's somewhat valid.
#6Julian_CaesarPosted 1/17/2013 2:03:47 PM
reading an article I wrote on why I don't believe in Christianity any longer, and why I believe the Abrahamic religions to be terribly fake? Perhaps, writing a response to it and WHY i'm wrong.

Depends on why you don't believe. If you say it's because you simply choose not to believe, then no one can change your mind and that's 100% fine. You will find your own right way if you honestly seek the truth, one way or the other.

If you say it's because science proves religion to be wrong, then you're not going to like anything I have to say to you. I would only encourage you to think outside the box when it comes to truth.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#7fire adept(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 2:10:59 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...

Depends on why you don't believe. If you say it's because you simply choose not to believe, then no one can change your mind and that's 100% fine. You will find your own right way if you honestly seek the truth, one way or the other.

If you say it's because science proves religion to be wrong, then you're not going to like anything I have to say to you. I would only encourage you to think outside the box when it comes to truth.

When I actually read the bible that is what caused me to not believe anymore. The bible proves itself wrong as I point out in my article. It really had nothing to do with science.
---
#8OzymandiasIVPosted 1/17/2013 2:14:01 PM
Even as a pretty firm atheist, I feel wary of reading the arguments presented in this article. Still, I am intrigued. Why not just post the link?
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#9fire adept(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 2:21:06 PM
Keep in mind it's not meant to be scientific, like I said I base my disbelief largely off of scripture itself, and some other factors..mainly just common sense. I don't have the article anywhere on the internet so I'm just gonna copy and paste it here.
---
#10fire adept(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 2:21:42 PM
What is religion? Religion is the belief and worship of an all powerful deity who is all knowing, all wise, and omnipotent. He is everywhere at once and knows everything there is to know about any given person. This proposed God decides what is right and what is wrong, and commands the denizens of the world to follow his ways, and his ways only. The ways of God are the absolute truth and are the absolute only way to live your life, lest you be damned for an eternity. This proposed God is the creator of the Universe and the creator of all things in nature. The belief that a supreme being created all that is in existence is known as “creationism”. Religions such as Catholicism and Christianity present the doctrines of such a God. Followers of these religions claim their belief in a system called “faith”. Faith is defined as complete truth or confidence in a belief based on spiritual apprehension rather than actual evidence of such an existence.

Being brought up into the Christian faith as a child this is what I followed all of my young life. The specific teachings of Christianity teach you that if you don’t follow the ways of God, and commend your spirit into the name of Jesus Christ, that your soul will be lost and damned to hell. Now Christianity is very specific about what hell really is. Hell is believed to be a very literal place of eternal burning in a lake of fire and brimstone. It is believed that this peaceful, loving, and forgiving God would send his so called “children” to a place of eternal misery and pain. This teaching of Hell had me in fear of many different things growing up. Fear or such a place is enough to scare someone into their beliefs, thus indoctrinating someone. This same fear is why I held onto Christianity for as long as I did. As I grew older and wiser I began to question things as is natural for all humans to do. Is it really logical to believe in such a God? What does his words really teach us? I hope to explore these questions as well as many more in this work.

Why do you actually believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ and that God exists? I’m pretty sure this question can be answered the same way by nearly everyone, because you were told it was true. Millions of people around the world follow such religions and associate themselves with faith for the simple fact that this is what they are told to believe. That fact alone in itself is alarming. Think about how easy it is to persuade a young child to believe exactly what you want him or her to believe, now think of this on a large, global scale. Have you ever thought about the number or proposed Gods over the course of history? Why did anybody believe in those Gods? They believed so because of what they were told by the elders who influenced their thoughts. Out of the thousands of the supposed Gods in history what makes you think that yours is the “real” God? Do you have any proof of such a claim? Can you prove that any God actually exists?

Next, let’s take a little closer look into the governing book of Christianity, “The Holy Bible”. The Holy Bible is said to be the true word of God, yet it is a book written completely by men. The Holy Bible has many different versions and even varies on what is included within its contents from sect to sect. The different sects of Christianity all have varied views on what should be interpreted and believed from the bible. Coincidentally they all have slightly altered versions of The Holy bible to go along with their specific beliefs. How could any rational person put their beliefs in a religion where there is so much discrepancy? The truth of the matter is that mortal men wrote the bible, mortal men have picked and chosen what to include in the bible, and mortal men have created everything within it. Do you have faith in humanity? If you believe in the Bible, humanity is the basis of your faith, not “God”.
---