This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would any Christians be interested in...

#91fire adept(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 4:51:53 PM
PhiZZiZle posted...
fire adept posted...
I really have a hard time understanding how Christians always word there way around things in the bible, the words are clear, and they are clear in contradiction.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/

This site...if you take the spend amount of time on this site as to compose your little essay, every single one of your issues would be explained. Of course, that's only if you care to listen. Judging by your anger in subsequent posts, you don't seem too interested in learning the truth... or even a viewpoint that conflicts with yours.

Two things from my quick skim:

1. You understand morality poorly. Prove to me that anything that God has done is immoral. You cite the situation with Abraham and point out that God said thou shalt not kill. Why should that commandment apply to God? The soul has not been extinguished, only the body. Similar to an abortion perhaps... Yet I bet you think abortion is okay. Death of body reunites the soul with God. Hardly immoral I would say...

2. Your understanding of new and old testament dynamics is appalling given that you grew up in the church... You reference verses that prove your point a number of times that are easily explained and dismissed by theologians.

I'll look at the site, and actually I don't support abortion personally, I do believe in pro choice for other people. If a woman wants to abort her fetus that is her immoral choice to make for herself. Just because you don't agree with things personally doesn't mean you have the right to stop other people from doing it. Also, I didn't grow up in church, just grew up around people of faith. God's commandments should obviously apply to him, that is the most ridiculous question I have ever heard.
---
Currently Playing: Grandia II (DC) Super Mario World (SNES)
Last Played: Final Fantasy II/IV (SNES)
#92SirThinkALotPosted 1/22/2013 5:06:01 PM
fire adept posted...
PhiZZiZle posted...
fire adept posted...
I really have a hard time understanding how Christians always word there way around things in the bible, the words are clear, and they are clear in contradiction.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/

This site...if you take the spend amount of time on this site as to compose your little essay, every single one of your issues would be explained. Of course, that's only if you care to listen. Judging by your anger in subsequent posts, you don't seem too interested in learning the truth... or even a viewpoint that conflicts with yours.

Two things from my quick skim:

1. You understand morality poorly. Prove to me that anything that God has done is immoral. You cite the situation with Abraham and point out that God said thou shalt not kill. Why should that commandment apply to God? The soul has not been extinguished, only the body. Similar to an abortion perhaps... Yet I bet you think abortion is okay. Death of body reunites the soul with God. Hardly immoral I would say...

2. Your understanding of new and old testament dynamics is appalling given that you grew up in the church... You reference verses that prove your point a number of times that are easily explained and dismissed by theologians.

I'll look at the site, and actually I don't support abortion personally, I do believe in pro choice for other people. If a woman wants to abort her fetus that is her immoral choice to make for herself. Just because you don't agree with things personally doesn't mean you have the right to stop other people from doing it. Also, I didn't grow up in church, just grew up around people of faith. God's commandments should obviously apply to him, that is the most ridiculous question I have ever heard.

Huh, I thought you were leaving. Its just as well. I'm curious to hear some of your responses to things I said...
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#93Julian_CaesarPosted 1/22/2013 8:12:16 PM
God's commandments should obviously apply to him, that is the most ridiculous question I have ever heard.

How do you figure that, exactly? You call it the most ridiculous question you've ever heard, so the answer must be ridiculously simple.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#94Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/22/2013 8:20:34 PM(edited)
PhiZZiZle posted...
You cite the situation with Abraham and point out that God said thou shalt not kill. Why should that commandment apply to God?

Julian_Caesar posted...
God's commandments should obviously apply to him, that is the most ridiculous question I have ever heard.

How do you figure that, exactly? You call it the most ridiculous question you've ever heard, so the answer must be ridiculously simple.

"When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal" - Richard Nixon. Same thing here, as far as most critical of the Christian God are concerned.
#95Julian_CaesarPosted 1/22/2013 8:58:38 PM
"When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal" - Richard Nixon. Same thing here, as far as most critical of the Christian God are concerned.

The President is not inherently superior to any human, beyond the fact that he was elected to serve a particular office. God was not elected, and is in fact inherently superior to all humans.

So if it's the "same thing" as far as the critics are concerned, then the critics are using poor analogies.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#96Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/22/2013 9:06:53 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...

The President is not inherently superior to any human, beyond the fact that he was elected to serve a particular office. God was not elected, and is in fact inherently superior to all humans.

So if it's the "same thing" as far as the critics are concerned, then the critics are using poor analogies.

I didn't explain that very well. Why should a perfect being not be held at least to the same standards as imperfect beings? It makes no sense. In the same vein that I expect a human to act more morally upright than say, a hyena, I think a God should act even better. Instead, the God of the Old Testament and to a lesser extent the New Testament strikes me as a mostly ordinary human of those times morally speaking.
#97SystemafunkPosted 1/23/2013 6:07:19 AM
Because those standards exist for a reason. For example, the reason we are not supposed to "take vengeance upon ourselves", which I very well think should apply to things like the death penalty as well, is entirely because humans are imperfect. Our judgement is not perfect, and delivering vengeance wrongly is a surefire way to tear progress right back down. In addition, humans are also corruptible. That is, when we take vengeance out against someone, it negatively affects us. It hurts us in return. God does not have this problem.