This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Christians here think children should read the bible?

#21inferiorweaselPosted 1/27/2013 8:10:05 PM
synister666 posted...
If so what do you tell them when they read verses like this?

Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV) "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

Would you explain the context of the 20 verses before and the 20 after? Children are smart readers. They wont cherry pick 1 line
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#22fudrickPosted 1/27/2013 10:53:25 PM
inferiorweasel posted...
Children are smart readers. They wont cherry pick 1 line

...what
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#23Magyar15Posted 1/27/2013 11:51:44 PM
In my experience, most people who espouse what they call "free thinking," are really not...
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#24JonWood007Posted 1/28/2013 12:03:13 AM(edited)
Hustle Kong posted...
Why do you think children should be indoctrinated into "free thinking"?

Is it because you hold that value dear, but don't think others should teach their own values?

So people can come to their own conclusions in a rational manner? Unlike theology, free thinking doesn't care what you believe, as long as you have valid reasons for holding your belief.

I'm for teaching people HOW to think, not WHAT to think. That's the difference. So many people are taught what to think, but now how to think rationally.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#25Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 6:21:31 AM
But don't you see the hypocrisy in saying that teaching kids how to think in the manner you agree with is fine, but to instill other values is "indoctrination"?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#26the_hedonistPosted 1/28/2013 6:47:54 AM
I think they should have limited, but almost unlimited, opportunity to read the Bible. There are many parts that, as JonWood said, would be rated R in the Bible. But most of it is acceptable for children, given the right context.

JonWood007 posted...
Im not planning on having kids, but I really don't think that people should be exposed to this stuff until they're at least teenagers. Partially because I don't believe we should indoctrinate people into religion but teach them to be free thinkers, but partially because, yes, the Bible is full of adult content. It's basically a strong R if we had to assign a rating to it. Gratuitous violence (just read about Ehud's death in Judges), sexual content, adult themes in general.

It will be practically impossible to avoid exposing my children to religion. The reason behind everything I do is because I belong to God and I have accepted it. My life will not make sense to children, and I am not about to leave my kids at home while I go to church, nor would I go to a church in which parents worshipped, while kids sat in an isolated room and watched secular cartoons or something.

You are saying that, even if I believe it to be true, I should not only raise my kids as atheists, but also to pretend that that's the only available option. You think you are attempting to remove bias by teaching them how to think, but they will be atheists for at least the first ten years of their lives, meaning they will be biased toward atheism. But the thing we must remember is that it is 100% impossible to remove bias. The lie of modernism is that reason removes bias. But you cannot be unbiased.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#27Far421Posted 1/28/2013 7:09:37 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
But don't you see the hypocrisy in saying that teaching kids how to think in the manner you agree with is fine, but to instill other values is "indoctrination"?

You would criticize someone who taught their children that murder is good. Is it hypocrisy to teach that murder is wrong?
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#28Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 8:09:44 AM
No. I believe that parents have an obligation to teach what they believe is right. So while teaching one's children critical thinking itself is not hypocritical (I plan on attempting to do so myself), referring to other parents doing the SAME THING you are (that is, teaching a child a world view) as "indoctrination" is hypocritical.

And while a parent who believes "murder is okay" probably has a moral imperative to teach their children that, they will be in the wrong, given our society. Nice reducto, though. How are those fallacies treating you?

I think you may have not understood at all what I was saying, Far.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#29Far421Posted 1/28/2013 10:54:06 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
No. I believe that parents have an obligation to teach what they believe is right. So while teaching one's children critical thinking itself is not hypocritical (I plan on attempting to do so myself), referring to other parents doing the SAME THING you are (that is, teaching a child a world view) as "indoctrination" is hypocritical.

And while a parent who believes "murder is okay" probably has a moral imperative to teach their children that, they will be in the wrong, given our society. Nice reducto, though. How are those fallacies treating you?

I think you may have not understood at all what I was saying, Far.

On the contrary, and I don't think YOU understood what I was hoping to lead up to. Parents have an obligation to teach their children what they need to get by in society. They do their children a disservice if they are ignorant, foolish, or depraved and then teach their children the ignorant, foolish, or depraved things that they believe. It isn't about world views so much as what actually leads to allowing the children to function in society and also live a fulfilling life.

To not teach your child to think critically is to deny them a means of adapting to our swiftly changing and increasingly accepting society. This causes problems for more people than only the child. For instance, to raise more homophobes does us all a disservice. Your view comes to close to giving parents a means of "owning" their children., since things taught in childhood will shape their lives.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#30Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:05:02 AM
No, I get that.

But luckily for us, there were people willing to instill virtues that weren't necessarily present in the society at large. I'm personally glad that we have parents willing to teach their children that capital and corporal punishment are wrong, or that the abolition of slavery is desirable.

You can teach a child how to survive in society while still performing the obligation of trying to instill in your children what you think is best.

Parents are not mere surrogates for the state, comrade. The parent/child relationship transcends the society at large.
---
Shooting Game never die.