This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Christians here think children should read the bible?

#281kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 3:12:36 PM
Far421 posted...
Just because morality happens to coincide with instinct somewhere doesn't mean they coincide everywhere.

No, I'm not implying that. I just want to be clear that the foundation of your reasoning is that humans instinctively desire well being.

To the other point, if you agree that all else being equal, action that harms is worse than inaction that harms, how does that play into your notion that action is better than no action when there is no evidence either way that the action is right?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#282Far421Posted 2/1/2013 3:40:16 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Far421 posted...
Just because morality happens to coincide with instinct somewhere doesn't mean they coincide everywhere.

No, I'm not implying that. I just want to be clear that the foundation of your reasoning is that humans instinctively desire well being.

To the other point, if you agree that all else being equal, action that harms is worse than inaction that harms, how does that play into your notion that action is better than no action when there is no evidence either way that the action is right?

Action that helps is better than no action. I have no evidence that my action harms. Anyway, if the child goes to hell I didn't send him there, some monster of a god did.

The instinct alone isn't enough. Humans are inevitably going to see well being. You won't be stopping that. Human morality is created by humanity at large based upon it.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#283kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 3:45:30 PM
You see a button, and you have no idea what it does. Do you push it?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#284kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 3:47:41 PM
Oh, and one other. Can you conceive of a situation where acting as you suggest leads to a harmful result?
---
#285Far421Posted 2/1/2013 3:49:17 PM
kozlo100 posted...
You see a button, and you have no idea what it does. Do you push it?

Doesn't matter from a moral perspective. Depending on context it may or may not be wise. You can't prove that next time you push a key on your keyboard it won't kill random people, so don't tell me that you don't.
---
#286kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 3:50:08 PM
No, it wasn't suppose to be any kind of moral trap or anything. I just want to know if you'd push a button when you saw it.
---
#287Far421Posted 2/1/2013 3:52:20 PM
kozlo100 posted...
No, it wasn't suppose to be any kind of moral trap or anything. I just want to know if you'd push a button when you saw it.

If I knew nothing about it whatsoever I probably wouldn't, but that is all in the context of practical knowledge and experience, which suggests it will do something related to human inventions in the area.
---
#288kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 3:55:30 PM
So how 'bout the other question then?

Also, do you think it's possible for two people reasoning logically on the same data set to come to different conclusions?
---
#289Far421Posted 2/1/2013 3:58:27 PM
kozlo100 posted...
So how 'bout the other question then?

Also, do you think it's possible for two people reasoning logically on the same data set to come to different conclusions?

I can conceive of a situation where any action leads to any result if I get to use supernaatural beings I can't disprove.

To the second question, not if they have all the same assumptions and no one makes a mistake. That's what makes logic objective.
---
#290kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 4:37:37 PM
On that first, I'm just asking if you can think of a way your system could possibly lead to harm in the world as you understand it.

On the second, do you think you can objectively define axioms?
---