This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Christians here think children should read the bible?

#291Far421Posted 2/1/2013 5:41:18 PM
kozlo100 posted...
On that first, I'm just asking if you can think of a way your system could possibly lead to harm in the world as you understand it.

On the second, do you think you can objectively define axioms?

Sure, just like any other system. the idea would be to use evidence to minimize the harm.

Of course you can't objectively define axioms. That's why we have to be practical.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#292kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 5:45:57 PM
So two fully logical people working on the same body of evidence could come to a different conclusion if they disagreed on axioms?

Who's axioms would you recommend we use in that case?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#293Far421Posted 2/1/2013 5:58:33 PM
kozlo100 posted...
So two fully logical people working on the same body of evidence could come to a different conclusion if they disagreed on axioms?

Who's axioms would you recommend we use in that case?

The ones that are more practical. That's why I keep making the sort of assumptions that don't leave us paralyzed.

.....Is this topic basically over now? I'm pretty exhausted with it.
---
#294Hustle KongPosted 2/1/2013 6:13:27 PM
Then leave. No one is compelling you. Are you being motivated by something other than logic?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#295kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 6:22:27 PM
How do you determine which is more practical? What does practicality even mean in terms of an axiom?

I have more questions, but as HK said, you aren't compelled to answer them.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#296Far421Posted 2/1/2013 6:31:20 PM
kozlo100 posted...
How do you determine which is more practical? What does practicality even mean in terms of an axiom?

I have more questions, but as HK said, you aren't compelled to answer them.

Practicality means not letting ourselves be overwhelmed by things that may be but that we have no evidence are.

Are your questions going anywhere we haven't already been?
---
#297kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 6:48:49 PM
The questions are helping me better understand where your idea is coming from. If it ends up being better founded than my own, I'll probably adopt it.

So, is it axiomatic that practical axioms are better than non-practical ones, and is it axiomatic that practicality means what you say it does?
---
#298Far421Posted 2/1/2013 6:57:34 PM
kozlo100 posted...
The questions are helping me better understand where your idea is coming from. If it ends up being better founded than my own, I'll probably adopt it.

So, is it axiomatic that practical axioms are better than non-practical ones, and is it axiomatic that practicality means what you say it does?

What do you mean by better? It is illogical to practice an impractical philosophy.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Practical

Practicality is about being able to take action. When I call an assumption practical I mean it puts me in a position to be able to take action. (Not implying that there aren't still some situations where inaction is appropriate.)
---
#299kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 7:01:17 PM
Yes, I understand. I want to know if you consider that being a good thing an axiom, or is it a result of a chain of logic?
---
#300Far421Posted 2/1/2013 7:09:19 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Yes, I understand. I want to know if you consider that being a good thing an axiom, or is it a result of a chain of logic?

Well, if we agree that maximal well being is to be a part of our goal, and it happens that we find ourselves in a situation where well being is less than optimal, we will generally need to act to move from the suboptimal situation to the optimal one. Practical assumptions that stop us from worrying about our well being getting stripped away unpredictably allow us to act as needed.
---