This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Christians here think children should read the bible?

#31Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:19:44 AM(edited)
As I just explained, critical thinking is a necessary skill for people to get by and not wrong others. You did not address this.

Also, don't "comrade" me, like I'm expressing some sort of radical, world changing opinion. You admitted that a parent who legitimately thinks murder is good should try to bring up his or her child to be a murderer. Do we even need to continue talking after that? Obviously that advice would end poorly for both the child and society at large. Your view needs reworking. The mere fact that someone had a kid doesn't give them the right to poison the kid's mind any more than it does to kill him or her.

Edit: Also, the abolition of slavery and such are obviously precisely the results of critical thinking (among other things, like empathy) instead of just parent-to-child replication of ideas.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#32fudrickPosted 1/28/2013 11:20:40 AM
Far421 posted...
You admitted that a parent who legitimately thinks murder is good should try to bring up his or her child to be a murderer. Do we even need to continue talking after that? Obviously that advice would end poorly for both the child and society at large.

So what, some parents should intentionally teach their children things that they believe are immoral? By what metric would one determine whether his or her own beliefs or the reciprocal of his or her own beliefs should be passed onto children?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#33Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:38:21 AM(edited)
fudrick posted...
Far421 posted...
You admitted that a parent who legitimately thinks murder is good should try to bring up his or her child to be a murderer. Do we even need to continue talking after that? Obviously that advice would end poorly for both the child and society at large.

So what, some parents should intentionally teach their children things that they believe are immoral? By what metric would one determine whether his or her own beliefs or the reciprocal of his or her own beliefs should be passed onto children?

Parents should teach their children how to think for themselves. They brought new lives into the world. They have an obligation to not only try to give their children a good life, but to succeed. In cases where the "right" answer is unclear, the best method is to instill a means of self correction that the child can use to determine what's right for themselves. That's where critical thinking comes in. Children should not have their lives determined by the mistakes of their parents.

Also, someone with so radically wrong a view of what's beneificial to their children and society as to think that murder is fine probably shouldn't be allowed custody of their children at all. Not all forms of child abuse are physical.
---
#34Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:46:48 AM(edited)
The mere fact that someone had a kid doesn't give them the right to poison the kid's mind any more than it does to kill him or her.

Who decides what beliefs are "poison"? You? The state?

What happens when what you believe to be true is decided by the authorities to be poisonous?

I plan on raising my children as atheists. Some would say that is evil. Yet I obligated to teaching children what I think is right.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#35fudrickPosted 1/28/2013 11:50:43 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
I plan on raising my children as atheists. Some would say that is evil.

Some may even say that is worse than raising your children as murderers.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#36Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:51:55 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
The mere fact that someone had a kid doesn't give them the right to poison the kid's mind any more than it does to kill him or her.

Who decides what beliefs are "poison"? You? The state?

What happens when what you believe to be true is decided by the authorities to be poisonous?

I plan on raising my children as atheists. Some would say that is evil. Yet I obligated to teaching children what I think is right.

I explained this in my reply to fudrick. In extreme cases, like a parent teaching their kid how to murder, sure, the state can intervene. In lesser cases, perhaps "brainwash" would be a better word than poison; critical thinking is the thing that allows the child to repeal bad ideas, thereby making the sharing of values less like brainwashing and more like teaching.
---
#37Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:53:39 AM
fudrick posted...
Hustle Kong posted...
I plan on raising my children as atheists. Some would say that is evil.

Some may even say that is worse than raising your children as murderers.

Undoubtedly. And I will teach my children to survive by employing "camouflage", if you will.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#38Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:55:27 AM
In lesser cases, perhaps "brainwash" would be a better word than poison

Why the use of pejorative language at all? Are you capable of separating it from normalization?
---
Shooting Game never die.
#39kozlo100Posted 1/28/2013 11:57:08 AM
Far421 posted...
They brought new lives into the world. They have an obligation to not only try to give their children a good life, but to succeed.

To provide a concrete example of what HK is getting at: Lets say you have just brought a new life into the world, and you have done so in Iran.

Your best course of action to ensure a good and successful life for your child is to teach them to be a devout Muslim.

Is this what you are going to teach your child, despite the fact that you do not believe in Islamic theology?

Squirm out from under the question by saying you wouldn't have a kid in Iran, or some other excuse, if you must, but think about why you feel the need to first.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#40Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:57:54 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
In lesser cases, perhaps "brainwash" would be a better word than poison

Why the use of pejorative language at all? Are you capable of separating it from normalization?

Because without critical thinking to act as a filter for ideas, brainwashing is exactly what it is.
---