This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Christians here think children should read the bible?

#41Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:06:17 AM(edited)
kozlo100 posted...
Far421 posted...
They brought new lives into the world. They have an obligation to not only try to give their children a good life, but to succeed.

To provide a concrete example of what HK is getting at: Lets say you have just brought a new life into the world, and you have done so in Iran.

Your best course of action to ensure a good and successful life for your child is to teach them to be a devout Muslim.

Is this what you are going to teach your child, despite the fact that you do not believe in Islamic theology?

Squirm out from under the question by saying you wouldn't have a kid in Iran, or some other excuse, if you must, but think about why you feel the need to first.

Actually, yes, you should teach them to be a devout Muslim, but discourage the radically violent views that some Muslims take. That's the best course of action to take in a bad situation. I'll note that this does not exclude teaching them critical thinking.

Also, yes, if you're in a position where your potential childrens' lives o well being would be in danger, you shouldn't have children. I don't know that merely living in Iran constitutes this.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#42Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:05:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#43Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:13:51 AM
Because without critical thinking to act as a filter for ideas, brainwashing is exactly what it is.

How will you teach a small child "critical thinking"? Do you imagine that children erupt from the womb as rational?

If a child approaches a fire, will you have a rational discourse as to the merits and dangers of its course of action, or will you rely on authority?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#44Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:19:32 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
Because without critical thinking to act as a filter for ideas, brainwashing is exactly what it is.

How will you teach a small child "critical thinking"? Do you imagine that children erupt from the womb as rational?

If a child approaches a fire, will you have a rational discourse as to the merits and dangers of its course of action, or will you rely on authority?

I didn't say you had to teach them critical thinking from moment they can understand words. However, critical thinking should come no later than a "deep" and explicit religious education. (A child may understand the vague ideas of the religion before that, but I suppose it can't be helped.)

Also, that post was a strawman.
---
#45fudrickPosted 1/28/2013 11:28:01 AM
Far421 posted...
Also, that post was a strawman.

I'm not quite sure that questions can qualify as a strawman
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#46Hustle KongPosted 1/28/2013 11:28:49 AM
So you will be "brainwashing" your children in part, after condemning it?

It's only brainwashing or poisoning then when you disagree with it?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#47Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:40:44 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
So you will be "brainwashing" your children in part, after condemning it?

It's only brainwashing or poisoning then when you disagree with it?

I don't think there's any dispute about what happens when you touch fire. If your child is at the point where he or she has not yet developed reasoning abilities then I guess you have to rely on some authority. Anyway, I'm specifically talking about teaching your children about things that are subject to nontrivial reasoning.

This line of thinking will only make me type a lot of words. Perhaps I haven't included some qualifiers regarding situations that we weren't interested in, but I think you understand very well what sorts of things I'm talking about, and which situations are relevant. I may or may not do a good job of choosing the right words to distinguish them, but even so the point stands.
---
#48kozlo100Posted 1/28/2013 11:41:04 AM
Far421 posted...
That's the best course of action to take in a bad situation. I'll note that this does not exclude teaching them critical thinking.

And if you think there is a good chance that critical thinking on your child's part would lead them to abandon Islam?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#49Far421Posted 1/28/2013 11:50:43 AM
kozlo100 posted...
Far421 posted...
That's the best course of action to take in a bad situation. I'll note that this does not exclude teaching them critical thinking.

And if you think there is a good chance that critical thinking on your child's part would lead them to abandon Islam?

Critical thinking enough to overthrow a religion would be enough for the thinker to realize that there is danger in openly admitting disbelief in Iran (assuming he or she lives there). Once the child has matured enough, whether or not to risk expression of that disbelief anyway is his or her choice.
---
#50kozlo100Posted 1/28/2013 12:00:12 PM
Sure, but you've indoctrinated your kid into living a lie in a nation hostile to his true beliefs. He'd have been much happier, and probably more successful, had you simply taught him to accept Islam and not question it too much.

Why didn't you just do that?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick