This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"You can't criticize God" Continued

#421dkcprjePosted 1/31/2013 12:36:21 AM
Yes. Especially hell week in at my fraternity.

Ho-ho-ho.

That's not what I've been doing?

Well, instead of supporting the statement that God is perfect, you've been saying it's an opinion. So I don't know what you're doing but it doesn't sound like any argument WLC would run to.
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#422OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 12:50:08 AM
The double standard is where you say that one is a statement and one is an opinion. They're either both statements or they're both opinions.

I find it to be vague.

According to Wikipedia: "Socrates is a man" is a statement, yet "The King of France is wise" is not a statement.

I only learned about logical statements today, and this Wikipedia page isn't really in-depth, but it says a statement is either true or false. The second statement seems to be a thing that is either true or false, but it's not. Why? Wikipedia does not say.

So I maintain that "God is imperfect" is an opinion.

Even so, we switched dictionaries and began using the "formal logic" dictionary in order to prove that "X is not an opinion". We're pretty much arguing semantics now.

But it won't work, because even if it is a statement, it is a false statement, and false statements don't matter either.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#423OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 12:50:49 AM
Well, instead of supporting the statement that God is perfect, you've been saying it's an opinion.

When did I say that?
---
#424dkcprjePosted 1/31/2013 12:54:37 AM
Let's frame it a different way. The sentence "The King of France is wise" is an opinion because wisdom is subjective. Are you saying that perfection is subjective, or are you saying perfection is objective? If it's subjective, then "God is im/perfect" are subjective measurements. If it's objective, then "God is im/perfect" can be either true or false and both are statements.
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#425dkcprjePosted 1/31/2013 12:56:11 AM
When did I say that?

Well, you can't have one sentence being an opinion and the other a statement to be argued if they're both pertaining to the same value.
---
#426OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 8:05:34 AM
The sentence "The King of France is wise" is an opinion because wisdom is subjective. Are you saying that perfection is subjective, or are you saying perfection is objective?

It depends. For example an 8-digit calculator can be perfect if it fulfills the need of calculating numbers up to 8 digits. It doesn't need to have all the abilities of God to be a perfect 8-digit calculator. That's relative perfection.

But for God, yeah, it would be objective.

So I'll accept that it's a true/false statement. Thanks for playing semantics with me.
Under the "formal logic" definition, "God is imperfect" is not an opinion, it's a true/false statement.
A false true/false statement.
How this is somehow more desirable on your parts, I do not know.
---
#427JonWood007Posted 1/31/2013 9:32:06 AM(edited)
"Who really is my neighbor"?

You seem to think that the Canaanites were "neighbors" to the Israelites. WRONG.

You also seem to think that slavery is inherently wrong. Also wrong.

More opinions. When will you guys ever stop with the opinions?

Excuse me, but who the heck are you to claim any different? Hurr durr, my views are in some old book supposedly written by someone who I arbitrarily consider perfect so they MUST be better than everyone else's!

Point is, you don't want a debate, because you won't even consider anyone else's views. You refuse to use logic here, true logic, to figure out morality, you just assume blindly that your views are superior, and therefore no one can beat you in a debate. If that isn't playing chess with pigeons, good day sir.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#428dkcprjePosted 1/31/2013 11:46:43 AM
It depends. For example an 8-digit calculator can be perfect if it fulfills the need of calculating numbers up to 8 digits. It doesn't need to have all the abilities of God to be a perfect 8-digit calculator. That's relative perfection.

But for God, yeah, it would be objective.

So I'll accept that it's a true/false statement. Thanks for playing semantics with me.
Under the "formal logic" definition, "God is imperfect" is not an opinion, it's a true/false statement.
A false true/false statement.
How this is somehow more desirable on your parts, I do not know.

This isn't a game of semantics. This is key. If you mean to say "opinion" then we shouldn't all be sitting here arguing about what is subjective. If you mean say "false statement" then it may be worth the 400+ posts.

Sooo. What do you think of my Argument From Genre?
---
#429GBALoserPosted 1/31/2013 3:15:40 PM
What I'd like to know is why everyone is wasting 900+ posts on a self-proclaimed troll, but hey, religion doesn't make sense.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#430LunarAmbiencePosted 1/31/2013 3:16:26 PM
With the Opinion vs. Statement problem solved, you can start addressing my argument in full now.
---
The above is both true and false.