This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"You can't criticize God" Continued

#451OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 7:51:44 PM
Excuse me, but who the heck are you to claim any different?

I'm OW.

Point is, you don't want a debate, because you won't even consider anyone else's views

When you can prove your views, then I'll consider them.

With the Opinion vs. Statement problem solved, you can start addressing my argument in full now.

"Your false statements don't matter"

There.

1) "We believe the Bible is unacceptable as evidence due to X, therefore we can criticize what God does."

How can you say what it is that "God does" without the bible? If you believe the bible is unacceptable as evidence, then how do you know what God did?

"God is perfect" and "God did X" comes from the same source. If you undermine "God is perfect" you also undermine "God did X". It's a double-edged sword.

2) "But if the Bible says X about God and it makes him look evil, why SHOULDN'T we criticize him?"

Because it doesn't "make him look evil", you just think it makes him look evil. This is either an opinion or a false statement.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#452JonWood007Posted 1/31/2013 8:02:11 PM
Suibom posted...
LunarAmbience posted...
Pretty sad when you can't support God's perfection by independent observation and measurement. You have to rely on unsupported presuppositions.

When you find a supernatural God within our natural realm of existence that you can observe and measure, lemme know.

Until then, you'll have to use the Bible; the very book which lists all the attributes of the God you're attempting to criticize.

Maybe if you submitted your criticisms with specific examples as stated within said Bible, we could talk about something. So far, all I've seen is vague accusations.

The Bible was written by a bunch of goat herders and apocalyptic cultists. I don't see how it's evidence for God. No more than the greek, babylonian, egyptian etc. myths.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#453OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 8:03:26 PM
Well you know what? I'm gonna say it. I'm perfect. It says so right here in this post. If you're gonna debate with me, you need to take all my points into consideration, including my statement that I'm perfect.

"points into consideration" =/= "Believe everything that you say"

But nice try. Your autonalogy fails because you don't actually understand what my point even is. If you did, if you even said my point OUT LOUD, you'd understand why I'm so right.

I am trolling you. I am also making valid points and arguments that you can't refute, since I'm right. Problem? Why don't you cry to the mods that the mean ol' OW is beating you up philosophically?

Pretty sad when you can't support God's perfection by independent observation and measurement.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that we haven't invented the "perfection inch" yet.

I'm sure that's next on someone's list, right after the "Spiritomoder" and the "Ghostdar".

He's perfect. I heard he killed someone the other day, but since your morality is subjective and he's perfect, it must have been the most perfect thing to do.

Oh look, you're finally getting it! You're thinking logically!

What if he's made an incorrect assessment?

Yeah, WHAT IF?
---
#454OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 8:04:54 PM(edited)
The Bible was written by a bunch of goat herders and apocalyptic cultists. I don't see how it's evidence for God. No more than the greek, babylonian, egyptian etc. myths.

Now we're moving the goalposts?

This topic is about criticizing God, not criticizing the evidence that leads many to believe that God exists.
---
#455JonWood007Posted 1/31/2013 8:23:57 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

Now we're moving the goalposts?

This topic is about criticizing God, not criticizing the evidence that leads many to believe that God exists.

I was responding to Suibom, not you. He said that until we can measure God, the Bible's the best we got, more or less. I basically said, nope, Bible is unreliable. I honestly think the thing was written by a bunch of very flawed, subjective humans, and their subjective morality. I don't think that God is perfect, I think it's their idea of perfection, which quite frankly sucks, because they seemed to be very savage and ethnocentric people. The Bible is not the work of a universal, objective, perfect God, because the Bible itself is full of moral pitfalls. God is okay with enslaving others, but freaked out and plagued a country for enslaving them (it should be noted if you look at history this actually did not happen). That's highly hypocritical.

If you actually use your heads and begin thinking about morality instead of accepting some ancient screwed up definition of perfection, maybe you'll realize you're wrong. But until then, I don't think this debate is going anywhere, because you're so entrenched in your flawed, screwed up worldview that a nuke couldn't unbury you. Let's not do part 3.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#456OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 8:31:47 PM
I honestly think

Suibom probably does not care what you think.
---
#457JonWood007Posted 1/31/2013 8:39:28 PM
At least I do think.
---
#458dkcprjePosted 1/31/2013 9:33:48 PM
"Your false statements don't matter"

There.

But *thumbing through pages* you haven't been asserting that the statements are false. At best, you've been fighting for the fact that God's perfection is not ascertainable. Are you changing your positions again?

Yeah, WHAT IF?

If he's made an incorrect assessment about his own perfection, then he isn't perfect and people can criticize God. If it was meant to be a different genre, then God's perfection couldn't be established or it may even be incorrect.
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#459OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 10:24:56 PM
But *thumbing through pages* you haven't been asserting that the statements are false.

Right. I just found out about what a statement is in regards to formal logic a little while ago, so no I haven't been doing that.

If he's made an incorrect assessment about his own perfection, then he isn't perfect and people can criticize God.

That was a rhetorical question. I know "what if."
The point was, "what if's" don't matter
---
#460GBALoserPosted 1/31/2013 10:32:01 PM
OW speaketh...
1) "We believe the Bible is unacceptable as evidence due to X, therefore we can criticize what God does."

How can you say what it is that "God does" without the bible? If you believe the bible is unacceptable as evidence, then how do you know what God did?

"God is perfect" and "God did X" comes from the same source. If you undermine "God is perfect" you also undermine "God did X". It's a double-edged sword.

2) "But if the Bible says X about God and it makes him look evil, why SHOULDN'T we criticize him?"

Because it doesn't "make him look evil", you just think it makes him look evil. This is either an opinion or a false statement.

Because the puppy was a dog. But industry, that was a revolution.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman