This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Making up a religion, is it wrong?

#1Vexu192Posted 1/19/2013 10:13:20 PM
So I recently discovered there are people out there who follow and worship the gods and deadra featured in the Elder Scrolls series of games.

Obviously this would fall into a form of neopaganism, which I myself am a neopagan.

I was thinking how crazy those people must seem to others, and how would you describe that religion to others?

I also started thinking if just simply making up a religion like that is a bad thing? I mean if the people follow good morals and treat everybody nice, don't cause trouble, believe in good and right things to do, is it really such a bad thing?

Let's not forget on Family Guy when Peter made up a religion to worship the Fonz. He was preaching honesty and loyalty and etc. Was that wrong to do?

Would love to hear some discussion about this
#2DarkContractorPosted 1/19/2013 10:17:57 PM
this is kinda off topic, but back when I was an atheist if an evangelist came bothering me, I just would tell them I believe in Bloop (that enigmatic sound in the ocean back in '96). they generally didn't know what Bloop is, so then we get sidetracked into a discussion about Bloop and then they ultimately forget that they were gonna preach to me 8D

thats how it worked in theory anyways <_<
---
www.youtube.com/user/MisterPillow An apologetics channel on the Christian faith (And I'm better looking than Proudclad)
#3Hustle KongPosted 1/19/2013 10:18:02 PM
It would entirely depend upon the motivation of the person. Why would it be bad in and of itself?

One of the oldest surviving religions was supposed to have been made up by a man, after all (Buddhism).
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4Simon_IsturizPosted 1/19/2013 10:18:29 PM
A made up religion?

As opposed to........?
#5Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/19/2013 10:22:26 PM
Simon_Isturiz posted...
A made up religion?

As opposed to........?

That was phrased a bit bluntly/offensively, but I have to concur unfortunately. I suppose it's wrong in my opinion by way of two wrongs don't make a right.
#6LastManStandingPosted 1/19/2013 10:57:55 PM
Yes Grave Sin
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#7Vexu192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:46:41 PM
Simon_Isturiz posted...
A made up religion?

As opposed to........?

lol, that actually made me laugh.

But what I mean is people like christians for example, have history to draw from. We know Rome was around, we know certain things in the bible DID in fact happen, reguardless of if the bibles method is correct, like sodom and gamorra, walls of jerico, etc.

For the elder scrolls however, there is no real religion based around the teachings of the nine divine, whereas there is a religion based around the teachings of Jesus.

Someone just simply took the lessons and morals taught within the elder scrolls and has applied it to real life

Basically, assuming gods and goddesses do exist, there is literally no way these specific gods could, because they have come from a video game.
#8Vexu192(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:47:45 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
It would entirely depend upon the motivation of the person. Why would it be bad in and of itself?

One of the oldest surviving religions was supposed to have been made up by a man, after all (Buddhism).

Like I said in my OP, if the person was teaching good things and moral values.

Like if I made up a religion based around the teachings of Batman, I would teach that Batman is a great hero to gotham city and always told the truth. Would that be so wrong?
#9Simon_IsturizPosted 1/20/2013 12:25:11 AM
Vexu192 posted...
Simon_Isturiz posted...
A made up religion?

As opposed to........?

lol, that actually made me laugh.

But what I mean is people like christians for example, have history to draw from. We know Rome was around, we know certain things in the bible DID in fact happen, reguardless of if the bibles method is correct, like sodom and gamorra, walls of jerico, etc.

For the elder scrolls however, there is no real religion based around the teachings of the nine divine, whereas there is a religion based around the teachings of Jesus.

Someone just simply took the lessons and morals taught within the elder scrolls and has applied it to real life

Basically, assuming gods and goddesses do exist, there is literally no way these specific gods could, because they have come from a video game.

Then all you're really saying is that the only advantage mainstream religions have is simply the institutionalizing power of time.

Not to say that it doesn't make a great deal of sense, because it does. But that doesn't make mainstream religions anymore "real" than a Skyrim based one. Both religions are equally devoid of evidence. The early Christian cults were unbelievable for Roman society for their time as well.
#10DagorhaPosted 1/20/2013 7:14:17 AM
Vexu192 posted...
So I recently discovered there are people out there who follow and worship the gods and deadra featured in the Elder Scrolls series of games.

Obviously this would fall into a form of neopaganism, which I myself am a neopagan.

I was thinking how crazy those people must seem to others, and how would you describe that religion to others?

I also started thinking if just simply making up a religion like that is a bad thing? I mean if the people follow good morals and treat everybody nice, don't cause trouble, believe in good and right things to do, is it really such a bad thing?

Let's not forget on Family Guy when Peter made up a religion to worship the Fonz. He was preaching honesty and loyalty and etc. Was that wrong to do?

Would love to hear some discussion about this

To those who already believe in a religion, yeah it would be wrong but if one wanted to create a religion to push forward their believes and promote certain things (loyalty, good will, comradeship) then I see no issue.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut