This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Religion wont survive the internet

#11SirThinkALotPosted 1/21/2013 8:38:05 PM
JonWood007 posted...
If the internet did not exist, I may have very well not come across the wealth of information that ultimately made me deconvert.

On the other hand, it may have been the oppiset for me. Although, really, who knows?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#12bsballa09Posted 1/21/2013 9:04:12 PM
Yukanna posted...
bsballa, I know your pro Israel, but are you religious too? Are you Jewish?

Yes I'm Jewish. I'm my own kind of religious.
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
#13CuddleWithClawsPosted 1/21/2013 9:22:57 PM(edited)
Many think religion is a detriment to society that is holding us back, imposing its will in unnecessary places and causing death and destruction around the world.

Many think that atheism is a detriment to society that is holding us back, imposing its will in unnecessary places and causing death and destruction around the world.

Which it doesn't.

Neither does religion.

Stupid short-sighted people take care of that well enough. If there's true evil in this world, then it lurks in the hearts of man, not in any book.

The sooner we all stop feeling that it's our business what others do with their personal religious beliefs (or lack thereof), the better.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#14mrplainswalkerPosted 1/21/2013 9:24:39 PM
Only thing that would kill religion is militaristic education programs enforced upon every person in the world.

If you skipped even a single person, there would still be bat**** flying off the walls within five minutes.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#15darkmaian23Posted 1/21/2013 10:16:55 PM
Gay rights are being held back by religion in America and other parts of the world. Creationism stirs up anti-science sentiment and is behind things like "teaching the controversy" which seeks to fill minds with blatantly false information and hold back the next generation of potential scientists.

Religion would not be a detriment to society if it remained a private thing and stayed out of politics and science. I think when people are very much against religion it is because they would like to see the superstitions of the past replaced by a broader understanding of the wonders of science.

That is what I would like to see happen, but the real issue is the harm religion does in the areas of science and human rights. That's what needs to change.
#16AynRandySavagePosted 1/21/2013 10:57:24 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I bet somebody wrote a similar article about the printing press at some point.

I really doubt that. The closest thing I can imagine would be somebody worrying that the Printing Press would challenge The hegemony of the Church, and they would've been right.
#17AynRandySavagePosted 1/21/2013 11:06:22 PM
Big changes to society can have big impacts on how society practices religion. There has already been a dramatic decline in religiosity in the Western world(America somewhat excluded) and that was well underway long before anyone knew what the internet was. The internet may very well be the thing that permanently secularizes the west, if not the whole world.
#18Faust_8Posted 1/21/2013 11:11:10 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Yukanna posted...
Why? Why do they even care?

Many think religion is a detriment to society that is holding us back, imposing its will in unnecessary places and causing death and destruction around the world.

When religion numbers falls, that's always a good thing to us. VERY good.

Yup. Stalin and Mao were really great for atheists. They were really great for everyone really...

They were sociopaths who happened to be atheists. It's not like they did what they did on a campaign centered on atheism.

I mean, Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy were most likely Christians but you don't hear me blaming Christianity for what they did.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#19PatriotwolfPosted 1/22/2013 1:08:12 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Magyar15 posted...
Yukanna posted...
Why? Why do they even care?

When religion numbers falls, that's always a good thing to us. VERY good.

Yup. Stalin and Mao were really great for atheists. They were really great for everyone really...

They were sociopaths who happened to be atheists. It's not like they did what they did on a campaign centered on atheism.

I mean, Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy were most likely Christians but you don't hear me blaming Christianity for what they did.

I've seen atheists even on this board do that. Also Faust, as usual, Tu quo quo.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#20BashyMcFetusPosted 1/22/2013 2:03:34 AM(edited)
Patriotwolf posted...
I've seen atheists even on this board do that. Also Faust, as usual, Tu quo quo.

Your criticism would carry more weight if you weren't performing the exact fallacy you accuse him of, which he isn't even doing.
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard