This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Religion wont survive the internet

#21ForsakenHermitPosted 1/22/2013 2:59:51 AM
Stalin and Mao had no problems killing anybody they deemed a threat to their regimes, they didn't just happen to be atheists, but spreading atheism was not the source of them spreading their reigns of terror. A better example of anti-theistic pogroms would be Albania under Hoxha or the cult of reason in Revolutionary France.

That being said I think we have to wait for the children of the Millennials to grow up before we make any rash conclusions about the future of religion.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#22fudrickPosted 1/22/2013 3:19:08 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
I've seen atheists even on this board do that. Also Faust, as usual, Tu quo quo.

Stop posting
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#23DarkContractorPosted 1/22/2013 5:03:15 AM
it took no time at all for us to stop discussing the article and start pointing fingers at each other goin "a (a)theist once did this!!!!!!!!! herp derp"
---
www.youtube.com/user/MisterPillow An apologetics channel on the Christian faith (And I'm better looking than Proudclad)
#24DarkContractorPosted 1/22/2013 5:03:21 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#25Polish_CrusaderPosted 1/22/2013 5:24:29 AM
I dont know about religion. But i know jesus and his followers have only grown because of the internet. I know my faith has gotten stronger form it.
#26fudrickPosted 1/22/2013 5:40:16 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
But i know jesus and his followers have only grown because of the internet.

If you mean to say that the number of christians has increased due to the internet, I'm not sure you could demonstrate that to be true.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#27MykorrhizaPosted 1/22/2013 5:45:51 AM
Religion changes, but it doesn't disappear. Some forms are Christianity are in decline, but other forms of Christianity and other religions are on the rise. Much of the religion these days take on a more unorganized and syncretic form. Internet helps people discover what they truly believe in. More people find atheism, but more people also find religions that they wouldn't have had any contact with without the internet.

Sweden, often praised for having a huge amount of atheists, actually has a majority of religious people. They just don't belong to any organized faith. A third of all Swedes believe in reincarnation, about 20-25% believe in astrology, 20% believe in ghosts and about 50% believe in some kind of life force or unpersonal God (the typical belief in Sweden is "I don't believe in God, but I believe in something"). And then we have the 25% or so that actually do belong to an organized religion.

Not even organized religion will disappear, because people will always have the need for a community and a religion is a perfect place for that.
---
http://barfota.bandcamp.com/ (folk music)
http://laskigaskogen.bandcamp.com/ (folk pop)
#28Dathrowed1Posted 1/22/2013 7:04:45 AM
well one thing is for sure, organized religion is declining. But that's been going on for decades.
---
sig
#29Asherlee10Posted 1/22/2013 9:17:48 AM
JonWood007 posted...
If the internet did not exist, I may have very well not come across the wealth of information that ultimately made me deconvert. Idk if it will destroy religion, but the internet will seriously dent it.

This is true.

The internet is, to date, the largest bank of information that is readily available to most first world persons. This knowledge promotes independent thinking and questioning of things we knew in the past, not just religiously-tied. Lots of religions in this world have cornerstones based on notions that are fading and they fade faster with readily available knowledge.

Not to mention, there are some nasty ties with religion that include hate-crime, discrimination and nationalistic views.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#30myzz007Posted 1/22/2013 10:32:02 AM(edited)
Honestly, it wasn't the internet that turned me away from God a few years ago - it was a book and its author that started the initial turn.

The internet sure helped that turn go further and further away though.
---
Reason, Purpose, Self-esteem.