This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Religion wont survive the internet

#31Asherlee10Posted 1/22/2013 12:02:02 PM
myzz007 posted...
Honestly, it wasn't the internet that turned me away from God a few years ago - it was a book and its author that started the initial turn.

Exactly my point, it's readily available knowledge that comes faster and faster as we go through time. It doesn't have to be the internet.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#32Hustle KongPosted 1/22/2013 12:28:51 PM
The internet has definitely helped immensely in my transition from irreligious atheist, to religious atheist.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#33mercurydudePosted 1/22/2013 5:45:59 PM
Only the dogmatic religions have anything to fear from the internet, and even then I expect that it won't kill them, but transform them. Even the old pagan religions haven't been obliterated... we still see people following modernized versions of them, learn about them in literature classes, and see their stories being used in movies, novels, video games, and comic books.

I do think that the internet will influence our society to become more secular and to treat religion as more of a private matter, though. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough to see our country elect a non-Christian president sometime in our lives. We've gotten over the skin color issue when it comes to electing a POTUS; I'd like for us to get over the gender and religious issues as well.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#34Revival125Posted 1/22/2013 6:46:50 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Yukanna posted...
Why? Why do they even care?

Many think religion is a detriment to society that is holding us back, imposing its will in unnecessary places and causing death and destruction around the world.

When religion numbers falls, that's always a good thing to us. VERY good.

Yup. Stalin and Mao were really great for atheists. They were really great for everyone really...

And we could name 100 leaders who butchered their people or others in the name of religion. What's your point? Dictators are dictators.
#35IvashankoPosted 1/22/2013 6:58:39 PM
I rather doubt it. Religion is not doing well in the white world, but the rest of the world is taking it up quickly enough. The overall percentage of atheists in the world is decreasing, as the Chinese (who have the mass majority of atheists) convert in record numbers and many atheist countries get older and die off without reproducing.

A Chinese leader was telling me the other day about how many in the Chinese government are starting to equate the end of religion with the decline of the West. This is not an unusual conclusion in much of the upcoming world, so a copy of what occurred in the West is unlikely. (I would like to note that that is not particularly *my* view of how the world works, but I've run into it more and more often. Even among ardent atheists).

Religion would not be a detriment to society if it remained a private thing and stayed out of politics and science. I think when people are very much against religion it is because they would like to see the superstitions of the past replaced by a broader understanding of the wonders of science.

That is what I would like to see happen, but the real issue is the harm religion does in the areas of science and human rights. That's what needs to change.

Ideology does that. Creationalism may be bad and all, but your idiot Western environmentalism has killed many people (probably, when all is said and done, tens of millions) with their fight against Golden Rice and other potentially life-saving instruments. I could list almost every political or ideological belief as holding inane, life-depriving beliefs. That is simply how it is.
#36IvashankoPosted 1/22/2013 7:01:56 PM
Also: Pew or Gallup had a poll asking those who went down as 'no religion' if they believed Jesus would come back in the next twenty years, and 25% said yes- or something like that. There probably are a lot of people who say they believe and don't, but still, these polls are notoriously unreliable.
#37Sir WillPosted 1/24/2013 11:00:36 PM
Religion will never go away, but yeah the internet will help put a dent in the numbers.

It's ben interesting watching a youtuber MrRepzion turn away from religion. And apparently years ago, before I started watching, he was very militantly Christian, more so than when I did start watching.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#38Burning_WolfXPosted 1/25/2013 9:13:01 AM
I don't feel religion will be destroyed by the internet. I do think it will help separating the wheat and the chaff, as it were--those who are seriously committed to their faith will be strengthened (and hopefully better-educated) because of the internet, and those who don't really believe will disaffiliate themselves after having their faith challenged and then subsequently losing it.

I also feel that only SOME forms of organized religion will falter--Roman Catholicism and Protestantism seem to be plummeting, but other, more traditional forms like Eastern Orthodoxy are on the rise. And then you have the introduction of many religions not familiar to the West such as Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism (and even Gnosticism) that have insights often lacking in religions familiar to the West--namely, again, Protestantism and Roman Catholicism.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#39ArwenTinuvielPosted 1/25/2013 9:42:24 AM
Religion will survive the Internet just fine. What it will have to pay special attention to is the increased communication and globalization of the world.

I'm not talking about how "being more informed makes you less religious", but rather religion as an identity is holding less influence than ever before. Whereas before a person might be defined by or identify himself as a member of so and so church, there is now so much more diversity and groups of varying interests that Religion has to compete against.

Of course, the internet certainly did help in bringing people of common interests all over the world together.
---
http://arwentinuviel.deviantart.com/
#40Magyar15Posted 1/26/2013 7:38:43 PM
Faust_8 posted...
Magyar15 posted...
Yukanna posted...
Why? Why do they even care?

Many think religion is a detriment to society that is holding us back, imposing its will in unnecessary places and causing death and destruction around the world.

When religion numbers falls, that's always a good thing to us. VERY good.

Yup. Stalin and Mao were really great for atheists. They were really great for everyone really...

They were sociopaths who happened to be atheists. It's not like they did what they did on a campaign centered on atheism.

I mean, Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy were most likely Christians but you don't hear me blaming Christianity for what they did.

Forgot about this; I wasn't blaiming atheism specifically for that; Yukanna said "When religion numbers falls, that's always a good thing to us. " I was pointing out the absurdity of that statement...
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust