This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My personal view of this board

#1Asherlee10Posted 1/22/2013 8:13:30 AM
So, I've been lurking mostly, and haven't found a good place to give a response to some of these topics. These topics are pretty bad. They are lacking objective evidence and rely heavily on unfounded beliefs. I've seen some major fallacies floating around, especially circular logic.

Is there an interest at all, to turn this board around to have proper discussions and debates?

It would be very nice to see formal arguments instead of these nonsensical claims that are made into topics.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#2ThuggernautzPosted 1/22/2013 8:14:41 AM
Why don't you start one and find out if it picks up or not?
#3chukie_suePosted 1/22/2013 8:17:22 AM
The board has been in a rut lately, but eventually people find a better place to express their opinions and the more seasoned board members remain.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#4Asherlee10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 8:18:57 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
Why don't you start one and find out if it picks up or not?

I have no interest. I also have no interest to change this one. It would be nice if it changed, but I won't be the one to lead it. I'm only making an observation or two. It can be taken or left.

chukie_sue posted...
The board has been in a rut lately, but eventually people find a better place to express their opinions and the more seasoned board members remain.

It seems to be that way.
---
#5Far421Posted 1/22/2013 8:20:59 AM
Some people view their correctness of their religious beliefs as an axiom. You will not cause them to doubt, no matter how good the argument. They'll just play word games, use logically fallacies, or do some other nonsense.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#6OrangeWizardPosted 1/22/2013 8:21:22 AM
Is there an interest at all, to turn this board around to have proper discussions and debates?

Sure.

...So what now? Are you just here to tell us "DO BETTER?"
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#7Far421Posted 1/22/2013 8:21:34 AM
Far421 posted...
Some people view their correctness of their religious beliefs as an axiom. You will not cause them to doubt, no matter how good the argument. They'll just play word games, use logical fallacies, or do some other nonsense.

---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#8OrangeWizardPosted 1/22/2013 8:22:51 AM
We heard you the first time.
---
#9Asherlee10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 8:24:51 AM
Far421 posted...
Some people view their correctness of their religious beliefs as an axiom. You will not cause them to doubt, no matter how good the argument. They'll just play word games, use logically fallacies, or do some other nonsense.

I find both sides, the religious and non-religious are committing some major fallacies, here.

OrangeWizard posted...
Sure.

...So what now? Are you just here to tell us "DO BETTER?"

I don't know the answer to "What now?" As stated, I'm just making an observation. It would be great if the simple awareness of the issue would change the situation, but that's doubtful. Changing it is not something I have an interest in. This is more of a meta-conversation about the board.
---
#10OrangeWizardPosted 1/22/2013 8:28:47 AM
Well, okay then.

Feel free to, you know, help.

Could you perhaps list the fallacies we're committing and give an example of each one?
---