This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Refuting the Flying Spaghetti Monster when someone uses it like this.

#41QwelzaarKanePosted 1/23/2013 5:11:42 AM
Systemafunk posted...
It isn't even a good parody from it's purported purpose, which is to try and portray theology as arbitrary and ridiculous, but that is partly because theology is NOT necessarily arbitrary.

It's original purpose was to show that teaching intelligent design in science class is stupid.
---
I'm anxious to show my ability's grown
But won't show my ace in the hole, that's why my fitted is low
#42fudrickPosted 1/23/2013 5:13:27 AM
QwelzaarKane posted...
It's original purpose was to show that teaching intelligent design in science class is stupid.

This. That's why I said you don't get it.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#43SystemafunkPosted 1/23/2013 5:28:38 AM
And again, it is stupid and lame because it focuses on some kind of superficial image of religion. It focuses on the "outward appearance". I read a critique of the book "The Bell Curve" that was basically this: you can tell what pseudo science is because it just tries to model the outward appearance of science". The same is basically true for the whole FSM thing. Which is why I provided what is a much better parody, and unlike the FSM, actually successfully parodies some of the more dangerous and silly parts of typical monotheistic religions.

Besides, if you want to explain why teaching intelligent design in a science classroom is wrong, then just explain it.
#44ForsakenHermitPosted 1/23/2013 5:59:48 AM
QwelzaarKane posted...
Systemafunk posted...
It isn't even a good parody from it's purported purpose, which is to try and portray theology as arbitrary and ridiculous, but that is partly because theology is NOT necessarily arbitrary.

I wish that's what FSM jokes would return to. Now it seems like something H.P. Lovecraft would have come up with if he wrote for Sesame Street.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#45Hustle KongPosted 1/23/2013 6:46:19 AM
Please don't disparage Lovecraft or Sesame Street. Thx.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#46ForsakenHermitPosted 1/23/2013 6:48:59 AM
My apologizes HK, that was certainty not my intentions.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#47Far421Posted 1/23/2013 8:38:32 AM
Seriously, Proudclad? This topic again?

A thing can, in theory, have strong (magical) powers without being omnipotent. That's all that needs to be said to destroy your argument.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#48JonWood007Posted 1/23/2013 9:00:50 AM(edited)
Didn't we just have this topic?

Also, lol. Just lol. Someone doesn't understand the FSM very well. Yes, it shares some characteristics with the Christian god, but that's the point. It's another fake "god" so to speak. I mean, seriously, you don't think the Christian version of God is the only one possible, do you? I really feel like this topic is pointless and grasping at straws. You must really be seeking validation for your beliefs here...anything to make you feel better I guess.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#49mercurydudePosted 1/23/2013 10:17:21 AM
JonWood007 posted...
Didn't we just have this topic?

Also, lol. Just lol. Someone doesn't understand the FSM very well. Yes, it shares some characteristics with the Christian god, but that's the point. It's another fake "god" so to speak. I mean, seriously, you don't think the Christian version of God is the only one possible, do you? I really feel like this topic is pointless and grasping at straws. You must really be seeking validation for your beliefs here...anything to make you feel better I guess.

He really seems threatened by this aging meme. I suspect that if he were to see Monty Python's Life of Brian, he'd blow a gasket.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#50Faust_8Posted 1/23/2013 11:20:05 AM
Besides, if you want to explain why teaching intelligent design in a science classroom is wrong, then just explain it.

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be creationists.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while