This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why theistic evolution makes no sense...

#31SirThinkALotPosted 2/5/2013 8:48:31 PM
squareandrare posted...

The term has been used to describe being a theist and believing in evolution, but in that context, it doesn't make sense to say "theistic evolution." Evolutionary theory does not take a stand on the existence of god,

This is true, however there are lots of people(atheists and creationists) who dont realize that and think that God's existence and evolution are mutually exclusive. So its necessary to find a way to describe the position that they are not.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#32Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 2:11:20 PM
I took a while to respond to my own topic, but anyway...

I dont think its necessary to say that God 'guided' evolution. At least in the sense of micromanaging individual mutations etc. In fact I cant identify any TE who believes that off hand(although there probably is at least one out there)

Then what exactly does theistic evolution entail?

Does anybody take the chicken and egg problem seriously? I know I havent since I was about 7.

And the reason you don't take it seriously is because evolution solves it. The reason why evolution is such a great theory is because it explains the complexity of life by suggesting that life arose gradually rather than being created by a more complex entity. Continuing to assert the existence of said entity only ruins the beauty of the theory.

It's very similar to how we don't have to understand what caused the Big Bang or what came before the Big Bang (assuming you buy that explanation). Knowing all that about the Big Bang is unnecessary to understand evolution, but we understand that without it, we wouldn't be here to day and evolution then couldn't occur. Same principle. They don't have to know the origins of God to believe he controls evolution. So the infinite complexity of the nature of god really is no issue here.

It really isn't similar to that at all. The fact that God is, by definition a complex entity means that his existence requires more of an explanation than anything else. The cause of the big bang, on the other hand, doesn't necessarily have to be a complex thing.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#33SirThinkALotPosted 2/11/2013 2:49:15 PM
Mike_Stanton posted...
Then what exactly does theistic evolution entail?

'God exists' and 'evolution occurs' are both true statements.

Granted it could encompass the idea that God 'micromanaged' evolution. But I dont know of many people who actually hold that position.

And the reason you don't take it seriously is because evolution solves it.

No, I dont take its not worth taking seriously. Its not even really a problem, although it sounds like a deep issue when you are about 5 years old.

The reason why evolution is such a great theory is because it explains the complexity of life by suggesting that life arose gradually rather than being created by a more complex entity. Continuing to assert the existence of said entity only ruins the beauty of the theory.

As I have said before, I have other reasons for believing in God. I'll grant God isnt necessary for evolution to function, and the diversity/complexity of life a great reason for believing in him.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#34FlashOfLightPosted 2/11/2013 4:46:14 PM
squareandrare posted...
Let's try to follow the logic of theistic evolution from God's perspective:

"So, I have in mind my chosen species and the complete diversity of life on earth. I could just make them right now. Because I'm god and I can do that. But no, instead I'll set them off on a seemingly random process of mutation and selection where the characteristics of my chosen people are carved out by the strong mercilessly slaughtering the weak. After billions of years of systematically purging the weak to select for the strong traits I desire, I shall have my chosen species."

It really doesn't make any sense at all.

Yikes, that sounds like a madman. Like something right out of what Dr. Doom or Mr. Sinister would say.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#35FingerpuppetPosted 2/15/2013 11:36:02 PM
Theistic evolution makes no sense because there is no evidence for it.

Evidence for evolution? Check.
Evidence for God? No; or at least not yet.
Evidence that God helped with evolution? No.

Why presume the latter two if we only know the former?
---
I recently came back to this site. I don't have an interesting sig, so please say something interesting that I can put here.
#36ThuggernautzPosted 2/19/2013 9:28:36 AM
Kind of off topic, but for those fundies still clinging to the 'organic material can't last longer than 10,000 years', here's another nail in that coffin:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130218164130.htm