This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great quotes from Saints, learn from those who's lives were dedicated to Christ

#1LastManStandingPosted 1/25/2013 7:52:46 PM(edited)
On Suffering

'When it is all over you will not regret having suffered; rather you will regret having suffered
so little, and suffered that little so badly.'
--St. Sebastian Valfre

As iron is fashioned by fire and on the anvil, so in the fire of suffering and under the weight of trials, our souls receive that form which our Lord desires them to have.
--St. Madeline Sophie Barat

"I do not desire to die soon, because in Heaven there is no suffering. I desire to live a long time because I yearn to suffer much for the love of my Spouse."
--St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#2DagorhaPosted 1/25/2013 8:07:37 PM
Do you assume that all Saints go to heaven?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3almasbabyPosted 1/25/2013 8:19:06 PM
'When it is all over you will not regret having suffered; rather you will regret having suffered
--St. Sebastian Valfre

This is an interesting quote because it implies we suffer in ignorance. Perhaps our suffering does have a purpose, but we're ignorant of it. We only see the suffering, not the end of it, but maybe at the end of it we will indeed see how little it was.

I don't know how St. Sebastian or anyone can know this, but it is an interesting thought that gives hope where otherwise there might be none. It would be nice if this was true. Otherwise, it's just suffering for no reason at all. And that really, really sucks.
#4LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:27:19 PM
Dagorha posted...

Yes all Saints go to heaven. The dedication to Christ, is something we can learn from. Learn from their mistakes, learn from their wisdom.
---
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#5LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:31:38 PM
almasbaby posted...
--St. Sebastian Valfre

This is an interesting quote because it implies we suffer in ignorance. Perhaps our suffering does have a purpose, but we're ignorant of it. We only see the suffering, not the end of it, but maybe at the end of it we will indeed see how little it was.

I don't know how St. Sebastian or anyone can know this, but it is an interesting thought that gives hope where otherwise there might be none. It would be nice if this was true. Otherwise, it's just suffering for no reason at all. And that really, really sucks.

Suffering with dignity is really, really good. Because that way we can be a little little close like to Christ. If you would read some of the Saints journals, you will learn that through Revelations with Christ, Jesus tells them about the importance of suffering.

Also what I learned is that God knows your suffering limits. So you are guaranteed to suffer max what you can suffer.

Right now I would love to just collect as much sufferings before I die. Not easy, but I will pray to be ready for it, With grace of God anything is possible.
---
#6LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:38:49 PM(edited)
Anger
Such a great wisdom in those quotes.

"When you feel the assaults of passion and anger, then is the time to be silent as Jesus was silent in the midst of His ignominies and sufferings.
O holy silence, rich in great virtues! O holy silence, which is a key of gold, keeping in safety the great treasure of holy virtues!
--St. Paul of the Cross

Virtues are formed by prayer. Prayer preserves temperance. Prayer suppresses anger. Prayer prevents emotions of pride and envy. Prayer draws into the soul the Holy Spirit, and raises man to Heaven.
--Saint Ephraem of Syria

Take pains to refrain from sharp words. Pardon one another so that later on you will not remember the injury. The recollection of an injury is itself wrong. It adds to our anger, nurtures our sins and hates what is good. It is a rusty arrow and poison for the soul. It puts all virtue to flight.
--Saint Francis of Paola

Be gentle to all and stern with yourself.
--Saint Teresa of Avila
---
#7DagorhaPosted 1/25/2013 8:47:42 PM
LastManStanding posted...
Dagorha posted...

Yes all Saints go to heaven. The dedication to Christ, is something we can learn from. Learn from their mistakes, learn from their wisdom.

but can you be certain of this? Saints are chosen not only post-mortem(sp?) but by human hands. How do you know they were really dedicated as you say they are?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#8almasbabyPosted 1/25/2013 8:49:39 PM
Here's one of my favorite quotes from The Imitation of Christ. I paraphrase.

"The more I venture out into the company of men, the less I feel like one when I return."

How often I have felt like this. lol. BTW, LMS, have you read that book? I think you'd really like it.
#9LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 9:13:57 PM
almasbaby posted...
Here's one of my favorite quotes from The Imitation of Christ. I paraphrase.

"The more I venture out into the company of men, the less I feel like one when I return."

How often I have felt like this. lol. BTW, LMS, have you read that book? I think you'd really like it.

No I did not, but I will keep it in mind thanks.
---
#10LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 9:15:31 PM
Dagorha posted...
LastManStanding posted...
Dagorha posted...

but can you be certain of this? Saints are chosen not only post-mortem(sp?) but by human hands. How do you know they were really dedicated as you say they are?

God is just and consistent.
Matthew 18:18
Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
---