This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great quotes from Saints, learn from those who's lives were dedicated to Christ

#31almasbabyPosted 1/27/2013 7:51:57 PM
KNessJM posted...
On suffering: The fundamental philosophical principle of Buddhism is that all our suffering comes about as a result of an undisciplined mind, and this untamed mind itself comes about because of ignorance and negative emotions. For the Buddhist practitioner then, regardless of whether he or she follows the approach of the Fundamental Vehicle, Mahayana or Vajrayana, negative emotions are always the true enemy, a factor that has to be overcome and eliminated. And it is only by applying methods for training the mind that these negative emotions can be dispelled and eliminated. This is why in Buddhist writings and teachings we find such an extensive explanation of the mind and its different processes and functions. Since these negative emotions are states of mind, the method or technique for overcoming them must be developed from within. There is no alternative. They cannot be removed by some external technique, like a surgical operation." -- Dzogchen

On anger: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." -- Buddhist parable

Suffering is the result of not getting what you want. I take this to be the reason the Second Noble Truth is that suffering is caused by desire. This is similar to the Stoic principle that a wise man always gets what he wants because he never asks for more than he gets. Yes, I'd agree that suffering has its roots in wanting what you don't have. Buddhists say you already have it, but ignorance is what keeps you separate from it. Sometimes I feel this is true, but it's usually beyond me. What could be worse than to know the truth but be unable to attain it?
#32LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 8:49:48 PM
almasbaby posted...
KNessJM posted...
On suffering: The fundamental philosophical principle of Buddhism is that all our suffering comes about as a result of an undisciplined mind, and this untamed mind itself comes about because of ignorance and negative emotions. For the Buddhist practitioner then, regardless of whether he or she follows the approach of the Fundamental Vehicle, Mahayana or Vajrayana, negative emotions are always the true enemy, a factor that has to be overcome and eliminated. And it is only by applying methods for training the mind that these negative emotions can be dispelled and eliminated. This is why in Buddhist writings and teachings we find such an extensive explanation of the mind and its different processes and functions. Since these negative emotions are states of mind, the method or technique for overcoming them must be developed from within. There is no alternative. They cannot be removed by some external technique, like a surgical operation." -- Dzogchen

On anger: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." -- Buddhist parable

Suffering is the result of not getting what you want. I take this to be the reason the Second Noble Truth is that suffering is caused by desire. This is similar to the Stoic principle that a wise man always gets what he wants because he never asks for more than he gets. Yes, I'd agree that suffering has its roots in wanting what you don't have. Buddhists say you already have it, but ignorance is what keeps you separate from it. Sometimes I feel this is true, but it's usually beyond me. What could be worse than to know the truth but be unable to attain it?

Believe in God, not in demon/(s). Go listen to people that converted to Catholicism, what they were really doing. Don't let judgment day caught you off guard cause you will enter a state of despair, that cannot be imagined
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#33fudrickPosted 1/27/2013 9:00:05 PM
fudrick posted...
I wonder about the extent of the suffering these saints actually endured before making these statements on suffering. For example, if they were plagued by cluster headaches, do you think they would have the same views?

This wasn't rhetorical lol
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious