This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My denial of Christianity is the only thing me family would turn on me for

#1ieatdirttooPosted 1/26/2013 12:29:26 PM
My family is supportive. Emotionally, financially, etc. They're good people, very close knit and loving. They're unaware I'm not religious. Aside from my brother, the majority of them are practicing Christians. The level of devotion varies however. Some are weekly church going Catholics. Other's are lazy and "believe" but don't follow the rules or go to church. Point is, they're all believers in the Christian faith.

I don't attend church and avoid conversations about faith. When asked if I have been "saved" I say yes. I don't have the heart to be truthful. I can't say it's bs and they have wasted their lives following these rules which truly do not matter IMO. Not only would they not be able to comprehend these ideas, but they would shun me. No matter how good of a person I was in reality, it doesn't matter.

My mother and grandmother are naturally more emotionally attached to me. I think they would still truly care about me and love me no matter what. But aside from them, the rest of my family (grandfather, uncle, aunts, cousins) would never look at me the same. I would forever be known as a non-believer and looked down upon.

The sad thing is that my family is very close and supportive. Until it comes to this issue. I could be a career criminal or an alcoholic or any other destructive issue and they would forgive me. Except for this. It's really disappointing to me. This is why I truly do not like Christianity or religion. It takes away from me the only support I could truly count on. And IMO it's all over nothing.

I didn't make this topic to debate the existence of god. I just wanted to point out that Christianity would make my family turn against me. I don't think that is right. And any of them that wanted to "save me" wouldn't if I truly explicitly stated how I hate religion. They would just think I'm sick and godawful.
---
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly - Winston Churchill
#2LastManStandingPosted 1/26/2013 1:28:16 PM
You are wrong, in many situations faith is what keeps the family together. Find a priest to talk to. Don't stray, you clearly don't understand the faith. Are you Protestant?
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#3Lord_IchmaelPosted 1/26/2013 1:38:45 PM
If it really is that dangerous/sensitive, better to keep it to yourself.

LastManStanding posted...
You are wrong, in many situations faith is what keeps the family together. Find a priest to talk to. Don't stray, you clearly don't understand the faith. Are you Protestant?

And in other circumstances faith is what splits them apart. And why would ieatdirttoo want to talk to a priest?

Don't mind LMS, he's incapable of comprehending that some people don't believe God exists.
#4ieatdirttoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 1:46:05 PM

I'm not religious in any way and have not been for several years. I deny the validity of any religion much less the Christian faith. I am 99.9% sure about this. I will never be convinced and in particular I have denied the existence of the holy spirit on many occasions..
---
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly - Winston Churchill
#5WelshGamer82Posted 1/26/2013 1:46:15 PM
You said your brother is not a Christian? How do they treat him?
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#6TheWetRatPosted 1/26/2013 1:47:27 PM
Pretty much what Ichmael said. It's really unfortunate, but if there's no way to be honest with them without putting your own well-being at significant risk, then you're probably better off keeping it on the down-low until you have enough financial independence, marriage, etc. to where you can be honest with them without fear of major consequence. And even then, you may not feel ready to do it. A lot of us are in the same situation. It's rough.

Also, don't worry about replying to LMS unless you want your topic completely derailed. He's been warned twice in the last couple of months for his post spamming and general lack of etiquette.
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#7LastManStandingPosted 1/26/2013 1:48:08 PM
ieatdirttoo posted...

I'm not religious in any way and have not been for several years. I deny the validity of any religion much less the Christian faith. I am 99.9% sure about this. I will never be convinced and in particular I have denied the existence of the holy spirit on many occasions..

Your family is Catholic or Protestant?
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#8ieatdirttoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 2:33:48 PM
Mixture of both Catholics and Protestant. About half n half actually. My brother is in the same boat as me. He's not religious.
---
#9WelshGamer82Posted 1/26/2013 2:48:39 PM
Do your family know he's irreligious?
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#10Polish_CrusaderPosted 1/26/2013 2:58:03 PM(edited)
A few things i noticed upon examining your original post:

1.)You did not say you deny Christ, you say you deny "christianity". After Christ, the term (and stigma) christians was formed, not the other way around. It sounds like to me that you hate the stigma associated with christians, and you dont exactly hate all of christianity as a whole. I also hate the stigma of the label "christianity" such as: "Thats not the christian thing to do" or my favorite: "Is that a movie christ would watch?" or "Is that a christian book?". Those are all made up euphemisms that the (by enlarge) american church has created. Im a film major from college and i can point out christ principles in a large portion of drama movies with a complex story. You know what euphemism i really? When people blanket every single religious believe and people under "religion". "P.C., you belong to religion, correct? You practice religion?" im like noooooooo, i dont practice religion, i practice christianity, im a christian- as if every religion in the world no matter how incredibly different they all are can be put under one blanket as if they all practice the same things. But anyway, back to my point- i hear your frustrations. I experience them all the time when atheists argue with me. Everytime i get into an argument, the prejudiced stigma always comes out- Im automatically a right wing republican (which im not im a registered independent), i dont have any evidence for anything (which is a lie, ive seen things that no atheist can explain), im stupid (lol), my family is southern bible thumpers ( i was born and raised in northeast, my brother is an atheist). So i break almost all the stigmas and labels that you can think of. I hear your pain. Im just hear to tell you that your negativity is faced at the wrong enemy. Essentially, you are blaming the whole dollar, when its actually only a 2 cent problem. I can explian more in depth later if u want. You are only talking about the the 2 cents in your petition/statement.

2.) You seem proud to deny the holy spirit at the end of your post. A sadly depressing thing to be proud to exclaim to the world. But that fact just made your post something more. You really hate christian stigma and/or rules and want to proclaim in anyway how much you hate it by your denial. Again, you did not mention anything about Jesus or his teachings. So i know you do not hate the real foundations of christ (the essential creator of christianity after the jews broke off), you just hate the stigma and rules associated with being a christian.

Are any of the conclusions wrong entirely? You did not really go into depth about what you hate about "christianity".