This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheists: Do you also consider yourself an Adeist?

#1Moorish_IdolPosted 1/26/2013 5:56:18 PM
I need to first note that I will be using the word theist to describe the specific relationship style of a god -- that is, a theistic god is a personal, involved god. I am not using the term in the general definition: the belief that a god exists. So keep that in mind.

From what I've read on this board over the months, it seems that the consensus among atheists is that they lack a belief in a god (as opposed to believing a god does not exist, although there are a few here who hold that position). However, that would presumably also include an adeistic belief, since lacking a belief in god is not dependent on the relationship.

However, taking into consideration the more specific definition for a theistic god given above, would you also consider yourself an adeist?

That is, do you lack the belief in a personal god, and also lack the belief in an impersonal god?

If so, is this dual position based on the same evidence (or lack thereof), or is there additional considerations that lead you to denounce both a theistic god and a deistic god?
#2QwelzaarKanePosted 1/26/2013 6:58:55 PM
I lack belief in any type of higher power due to the lack of evidence. Though I do believe that a deistic god is more plausible while also being much harder to prove, if that makes sense.
---
Herp derp a doo wop, a wop bam boo!
#3JonWood007Posted 1/26/2013 7:05:14 PM
Yes. I see the two things as the same. Remember, atheism is just a lack of belief in God. If I believed in a deistic god, I would not be an atheist. I would be a deist, so this question is silly.

I'm an agnostic atheist though, so i don't claim to know that there is no God with any certainty or authority. I just haven't found a convincing reason to believe.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#4Polish_CrusaderPosted 1/26/2013 7:26:27 PM
JonWood007 posted...

I'm an agnostic atheist though, so i don't claim to know that there is no God with any certainty or authority. I just haven't found a convincing reason to believe.

-Your also not interesting in finding a convincing reason to believe. You left that part out, jon.
#5kozlo100Posted 1/26/2013 7:27:49 PM
I lack a belief in any kind of gods, personal or impersonal, and yes that position is based on the lack of personally compelling reason to believe in either kind.

I will say that I consider the question of whether or not an impersonal, inactive, or uninvolved god exists to be less important, and not one that draws my attention.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#6Moorish_Idol(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 9:41:15 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Yes. I see the two things as the same. Remember, atheism is just a lack of belief in God. If I believed in a deistic god, I would not be an atheist. I would be a deist, so this question is silly.

I know that atheism is a lack of a belief in a god (I mention that in my post), but I was specifically asking about the relationship definition.

That said, I may have worded my question a bit incorrectly. I wasn't asking if you were a deist, but rather if the same reasons for you being an atheist would be applied to deism, or if you took additional steps to dispute deism as well.

I apologize if the question seems redundant. It stemmed from a curiosity for why "atheism" was selected instead of "adeism," which seems more all-encompassing to me.
#7JonWood007Posted 1/26/2013 10:49:19 PM(edited)
Polish_Crusader posted...
JonWood007 posted...

-Your also not interesting in finding a convincing reason to believe. You left that part out, jon.

If I were not interested, I would not be here.

Just because I don't accept YOUR reasons doesn't mean I'm not open to LEGITIMATE evidence. No offense, but your arguments fall apart under rational scrutiny.

I know that atheism is a lack of a belief in a god (I mention that in my post), but I was specifically asking about the relationship definition.

That said, I may have worded my question a bit incorrectly. I wasn't asking if you were a deist, but rather if the same reasons for you being an atheist would be applied to deism, or if you took additional steps to dispute deism as well.

I apologize if the question seems redundant. It stemmed from a curiosity for why "atheism" was selected instead of "adeism," which seems more all-encompassing to me.

Yeah, no offense but it is redundant. If you believe in a destic God and not a theistic God, that doesn't make you an atheist, it makes you a deist. Seeing how most atheists I've talked to, as well as myself, are simply "nonbelievers" or skeptics, same reasoning applies.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#8Hustle KongPosted 1/26/2013 11:15:57 PM
What Kozlo said exactly.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9Moorish_Idol(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 1:18:42 PM
I'll close this topic. I see that I worded it poorly. I could blame it on the language barrier, but really I think I just screwed up. :P

My question was regardless answered by a few people though, so thanks.