This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any YEC on this board?

#1darkmaian23Posted 1/27/2013 3:33:29 AM
I know we have quite a few Christians here and many Christians believe that the Bible is completely literal. If any young Earth creationists are here, I would be interested to know how you personally can justify thinking the things you do in this modern age.

In fact, if anyone knows, I'd be very interested to learn the reason behind thinking that the Earth is only 6,000 or 10,000 old. I can understand people trying to justify things like Noah's flood, but I'm at a loss to imagine how this idea ever came about (especially with the abundance of dinosaur fossils).
#2ElderMisanthropyPosted 1/27/2013 4:25:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Origins
---
There's not enough elbow macaroni, glue, and gold spray paint to make a set of nuts look good.
#3WelshGamer82Posted 1/27/2013 5:35:59 AM
Are there any YEC on this board?

Yes.
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#4Faust_8Posted 1/27/2013 6:18:22 AM
In fact, if anyone knows, I'd be very interested to learn the reason behind thinking that the Earth is only 6,000 or 10,000 old. I can understand people trying to justify things like Noah's flood, but I'm at a loss to imagine how this idea ever came about (especially with the abundance of dinosaur fossils).

Denial, extreme ignorance, the presupposition that their intuition has more accuracy than a myriad areas of science, and so on.

I know OW believes in a global flood (and oddly enough I don't even think he's a YEC) and trust me, whenever we ask a question that he can't answer he literally says it was magic or a miracle.

That is the thought process, or rather the lack of one, that results in that foolishness.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#5Dathrowed1Posted 1/27/2013 6:36:28 AM(edited)
OW is not a YEC & he doesn't believe in magic either
---
sig
#6FlashOfLightPosted 1/27/2013 7:16:57 AM
I, my dear inquirer, would be someone to be referred to as that, but then the last C in the term may as well refer to christians, since apparently some believers out there seem to take it for granted that believing in Jesus Christ is also believing that he is the Creator, while some do not attribute Jesus Christ having any part in the creation process.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#7FlashOfLightPosted 1/27/2013 7:24:01 AM
darkmaian23 posted...
I can understand people trying to justify things like Noah's flood, but I'm at a loss to imagine how this idea ever came about (especially with the abundance of dinosaur fossils).

Anyway, I have expressed here on this board as often as I could, whenever I had the opportunity and time, to address the multiple issues, contentions, and controversies regarding the matter, and pretty much it has always been accompanied by the same company of detractors on this board, which is fine, anyone can always speak up and should, but as I always argue there is a difference between people asking legit questions, and then going on to act ignorant of those answers when they have been directly addressed and starting anew as if they are still questions to be solved or picked at.

Such critics never want to learn and admit they're wrong, no matter with what they're presented with.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#8JonWood007Posted 1/27/2013 10:15:36 AM
Former YEC.

Here's the thing, while many YECs are not necessarily anti science in general, when it conflicts with their faith, logic goes out the window and they'll accept the Bible over all else. It's basically a matter of faith. If evidence shows the earth isnt 6000 years old or so, it's either wrong (attacks on carbon dating), it's a hoax perpetrated by the world's scientists to bring people away from Jesus (all the skulls of proto humans...some are hoaxes, some aren't irl), or Satan is testing us (yes, apparently God put dinosaur bones in the ground to keep people from Christ). Basically, if a scientist presents evidence for evolution, the creationist's favorite response is to ask "were you there?" Obviously, the scientist will say no, and you say "well, I know someone who was there, and he wrote this (and then he brings out the bible and begins quoting verses." You see, YECs think that the Bible is some user manual for the universe. And they don't trust fallible knowledge, because theirs is infallible. The way they see it, science cant make up their mind, it says something one day, the opposite the next, you can't trust it, but the Bible always stays the same. Oh, and did I mention it was written by the dude who created the world? Why run around trying to figure out how our world came into being when it says so right in the book?

Now, evolution. When i was in Christian school, they accepted MICROevolution, but not macro. Obviously, they can't explain away viruses changing and all, and the need to create new vaccines to counter this, so they say that the same organisms can develop some slight mutations, but they remain incredulous at the idea that "we came from monkeys". Other than that, their anti evolution argument is full of strawmen. They think we believe that we all came from goo, and magically became dinosaurs and then people, and that this sounds ridiculous. They cite how unlikely it is that evolution could possibly be true, pulling random high numbers out of their butt to explain the odds (on the scale of like ten to the 57th power or something crazy like that). They liken it to a tornado forming a 747, or bill gates smacking his head on a keyboard and creating windows. They think we're so desperate to make excuses to not follow God, that we want to sin, that we don't want to acknowledge his existence, that we're falling victim to satan's trap to lead people away from Christ.

I hope this helps explain the mindset. In short, they're excellent skeptics as far as the theory of evolution goes (if not too skeptical), but give the Bible a free pass. They cite ridiculous odds that everything came about by chance and dismiss all evidence as hoaxes, or plants by satan, or faulty measuring (although all their creation science is 100% correct).

I once again should point out in their defense though they're not necessarily anti science. They use science....they just ignore it when it conflicts with their book.

Why was I a YEC? because when that's what they teach you in school, you tend to believe it. Then college happened.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9OzymandiasIVPosted 1/27/2013 10:49:16 AM
I once again should point out in their defense though they're not necessarily anti science. They use science....they just ignore it when it conflicts with their book.

IMO, that's worse than being anti-science.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#10JonWood007Posted 1/27/2013 11:57:48 AM
How so? I know it's intellectually dishonest, but still.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768