This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

God is a logical necessity

#51ScottSweatshirt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:22:50 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
From: ScottSweatshirt | Posted: 1/29/2013 5:57:57 PM | #048
The argument of chance and probability.

My example of the S.O.S signal on a deserted island served to reveal what a stupid position it is but one none the less.

It's not an argument of chance and probability. That would imply that what we are now was at some point one goal among many goals, or one possibility among many possibilities. There never was a goal, and we were never a determined possibility. This is not about chance and probability.

When I say chance in probability, its not me implying this was the designated goal or objective. From your perspective, that obviously isnt the case as cognition and awareness werent involved in the process.
With that said, I guess the phrase "chance and probability" would imply the haphazard yet fortunate circumstances of the past events that lead to the present circumstances of today we face regardless of intent or purpose behind those intentions.
#52ThuggernautzPosted 1/29/2013 4:24:52 PM
ScottSweatshirt posted...
OzymandiasIV posted...
From: ScottSweatshirt | Posted: 1/29/2013 5:57:57 PM | #048
The argument of chance and probability.

My example of the S.O.S signal on a deserted island served to reveal what a stupid position it is but one none the less.

It's not an argument of chance and probability. That would imply that what we are now was at some point one goal among many goals, or one possibility among many possibilities. There never was a goal, and we were never a determined possibility. This is not about chance and probability.

When I say chance in probability, its not me implying this was the designated goal or objective. From your perspective, that obviously isnt the case as cognition and awareness werent involved in the process.
With that said, I guess the phrase "chance and probability" would imply the haphazard yet fortunate circumstances of the past events that lead to the present circumstances of today we face regardless of intent or purpose behind those intentions.

... because that's the only way it could be. We could be an ammonia based species on an entirely different planet in a different galaxy, and still think the exact same thing. If things weren't conducive to life, we simply wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Oh, and let's not forget how much more of space is barren and sterile, shall we?
#53fudrickPosted 1/29/2013 4:27:02 PM
Are you going to answer my question?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#54DrAlbertBanduraPosted 1/29/2013 4:31:42 PM
Design essentially requires a designer

Why didn't God design a better birth canal?

Why did He design wisdom teeth?

What's with scrotal hernias? Susceptibility in men is caused by a thinning of the the groin muscle from the testicles passing through in development.

What's with all the poor designs?
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg
#55KNessJMPosted 1/29/2013 4:51:30 PM
And once again my post is ignored.

Shall I take this as an admission that the OP has no good counter-arguments?
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#56fudrickPosted 1/29/2013 5:24:04 PM
KNessJM posted...
Shall I take this as an admission that the OP has no good counter-arguments?

We all knew that after reading the first post, didn't we?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#57hunter_gohanPosted 1/29/2013 5:54:57 PM
ScottSweatshirt posted...
Design essentially requires a designer

Now this fact of life comes natural to us as our minds automatically assumes this principle. For instance, if you were stranded on a island and came across a stone hut the first thought that would cross you mind is who built it and who lived there. Not how did it get there or sit there wondering if a tornado came through constructed it by chance

Haha oh wow. Using that tired old creationist argument and thinking it's some brilliant new argument that makes a god logically necessary. That's some good comedy

Now tell me what belief system requires more faith? I think you already know the answer

Yup I do, theism. X > 0

That must have been the case right for a person wouldnt be able to live with just a portion of an organ, let lone a single organ at a time. Rationalize that for me please.

rofl he doesn't even know wth evolution is either? No offense, but are you in elementary home-schooling?

Im not really to familiar with pseudo science...

Then why are you spouting standard creationist arguments?

fudrick posted...
We all knew that after reading the first post, didn't we?

Three sentences in actually.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#58YouAreCrumbsPosted 1/29/2013 6:40:55 PM
If we were designed, we were designed poorly. Why would an omnipotent being give me an appendix, a useless poison sac that can burst and kill me at any time? Or wisdom teeth too large to fit in my mouth? Also, your OP is an unbelievably old argument that had been done to death. Might as well have used Pascal's Wager.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#59Faust_8Posted 1/29/2013 6:46:33 PM
User Name ScottSweatshirt

User ID 6717362

Board User Level 15: New User (1)
Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma. Can create 5 topics, 50 messages per day. Can delete own messages, close topics.

Account Created Monday, January 14, 2013 12:51 AM

Last Visit Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:49 PM

Karma 7

Active Messages Posted 22

---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#60CuddleWithClawsPosted 1/29/2013 8:01:59 PM(edited)
You know before I made the thread I was deciding whether I use the argument of design or cause and effect.

I have a feeling if I used the latter you would have posted the same statement just the slight revision with you instead asking for a logical proof for why every effect needs a cause.
The bottom line is people like you have trouble accepting things which undermines your bias.

Is that the sound of Scott giving me an argument that unequivocally necessitates a God? No! That's the sound of Scott dancing around my request and attacking me for having "bias".

You clearly have no idea what you mean when you say logic. "God is a logical necessity" is a nonsensical statement in the context of everything else you've posted UNLESS you give a valid AND sound deductive argument showing it is so. This is because no inductive argument can ever have a conclusion necessitated by its own premises. All you've given us up until this point is weak induction that does not necessitate a single goddamned thing.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.