This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions for Creationists

#1KNessJMPosted 1/29/2013 2:00:47 PM
I have a few questions for creationists that I've been wondering about. This topic isn't intended to re-open a debate over creationism, I'm just genuinely curious as to what your perspective on these questions are.

1) When God created people and animals and such, how did they actually come into existence? Was there just nothing in a given space and suddenly a sheep or a buffalo "blinks" into existence in an instant? Also, how many of a given species were created? Was it just a single male and female (or whatever is needed for a species to reproduce), or were entire groups originally created?

2) The Bible says that humans used to live for a very long time, did animals also used to have longer lifespans than they do currently?

3) I often hear that humans don't live as long as they did in the early Old Testament time (hundreds of years) because of the "Fall of Man", i.e. the introduction of sin. Why did it take so long for sin to have an effect on longevity? The first sin, if I'm not mistaken, was Eve eating the forbidden fruit, so why did people keep living multiple century lives after that? What's up with the delay?

Thanks for reading.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#2Dathrowed1Posted 1/29/2013 5:41:04 PM
Well since you are asking honestly

1) Genesis only gives an elaborate account of the creation of man. Using Holy Spirit (his active force), he took materials from the earth the create Adam. Then he created Eve from Adam's rib. From reading the Genesis account it seems that entire "kinds" of animals were created, and Jehovah gave them the genetics to produce all the animals today. Same with Adam and Eve being the parents of the entire human race.

2) The Bible doesn't say, it really only concerns itself with bringing humans back to perfect/complete life.

3) The people who enjoyed longer lifespans were closer to perfection than we are. As generations grew from Adam and Eve (particularly between Noah and his sons) the age of the Semetic line declines greatly.
---
sig
#3KNessJM(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:58:32 PM
I feel like I still have the same question about #1. Did Adam gradually come into existence like Dr. Manhattan in The Watchmen (first a floating nervous system, then some musculature, etc.) or did he just kind of "poof" into existence? Or is it simply not known?
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#4Dathrowed1Posted 1/29/2013 9:32:27 PM
The bible doesn't say how long Adam's creation took or the exact processes that happened.
---
sig
#5FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 5:45:50 AM
KNessJM posted...
I feel like I still have the same question about #1. Did Adam gradually come into existence like Dr. Manhattan in The Watchmen (first a floating nervous system, then some musculature, etc.) or did he just kind of "poof" into existence? Or is it simply not known?

You are complicating things, what does nature tell you? What is seen in nature today?

When an animal dies, and the decaying process begins, how does that body and organic matter deteriorate?

Watch the time-lapsed video ->

(Warning to viewer: might be considered "gross" or "nasty")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBOpzM2sLM

Alternate, this time a rabbit, and gee it only took approximately seven days, no less (shocking) ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6sFP_7Vezg

Now, where there any Watchmen special effects seen in any of the two? Any zaps, and fancy lighting, and pretty colors to dazzle the eye and make you go AW!?

God doesn't use hocus pocus voodoo to do things, unlike the cliche depiction of him seen from over-active imaginations, he does things according to order, not fantasy ->

Excerpt from Wisdom 11:20

"but thou hast ordered all things in measure and number and weight."

So what did God say about it? ->

Genesis 2:19

"And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof."

Genesis 3:19

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

What did that rabbit and rat return to? Zaps and dazzling bubbles, or dust?

One more time, Gen 3:23

"Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken."
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#6ravenomoarPosted 2/1/2013 6:41:04 AM
At first I was like lol. Then I was like lol

I love the justification Christians make. Its like making up bed time stories for little children. How about you look at the facts. Evolution explains everything you need to know. Don't make up stuff because you don't know the answers that's disingenuous.
#7almasbabyPosted 2/1/2013 9:33:34 AM
The point of Genesis was to give an account of God's creative power. It wasn't meant to be taken literally as the way he actually used that power. Or so say some scholars.
#8_Rasl3rX_Posted 2/1/2013 8:29:54 PM
The point of Genesis was to give an account of God's creative power. It wasn't meant to be taken literally as the way he actually used that power. Or so say some scholars.

yeah, theres not a single piece of scripture (or even outside material from the era) that justifies this interpretation. yes, its the rationalization and excuse used by people when people claim that it was taking the typical creation stories of mythologies and showing them how an omnipotent God could fit in, but me saying that Genesis just rips off older religions is equally valid, both are claims with 0 evidence). it also contradicts the whole "all other Gospels are false" thing, anyways, as it basically admits some truth to them.