This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Peter Heck video - "The Sound of Abortion"

#41JonWood007Posted 1/30/2013 10:30:29 AM
Suibom posted...
lasthero posted...

Good. For. You.

I know, right?!

Responsibility is awesome.

Here's hoping the rest of society catches the fever.

As a subscriber to r/childfree, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#42lastheroPosted 1/30/2013 10:31:26 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Whenever someone complains about abortion, I ask them what they are doing for teen and single mothers and for children in orphanages that makes keeping the child more viable.

Ive yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

Its easy to complain on the internet about other people doing bad things. Its hard to get out there and make the world an easier place to have a baby in. Most "pro-lifers" go for the easy route, and its why I seldomly respect the position.

Very good point. In my experience, most pro-lifers are more really more 'pro-birth'. What happens to them afterwards never seems to make it into the discussion.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#43JonWood007Posted 1/30/2013 10:37:46 AM
lasthero posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Whenever someone complains about abortion, I ask them what they are doing for teen and single mothers and for children in orphanages that makes keeping the child more viable.

Ive yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

Its easy to complain on the internet about other people doing bad things. Its hard to get out there and make the world an easier place to have a baby in. Most "pro-lifers" go for the easy route, and its why I seldomly respect the position.

Very good point. In my experience, most pro-lifers are more really more 'pro-birth'. What happens to them afterwards never seems to make it into the discussion.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/46085_10151337190161092_2024518430_n.jpg
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#44Suibom(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 10:44:16 AM
TRJ, we support an orphan in Thailand and an impoverished youth in Mozambique. That's $65 a month from our personal budget. You?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#45JonWood007Posted 1/30/2013 10:51:42 AM
Ok, fair enough, so you're not a hypocrite (although I'll still hold many pro lifers are).

You've still failed to demonstrate why everyone else should live like you. I'm all for people doing what their personal convictions say on this matter, but I do dislike pro lifers trying to make everyone else do as they do because of their conviction.
---
#46Suibom(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:19:43 AM
You're asking me to explain why people should be responsible with their lives, accept the risks and consequences of their actions, and basically not be a person they make shows about for MTV?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#47Faust_8Posted 1/30/2013 11:32:28 AM
Wanting people to be responsible and making them pay for every single mistake are two different things.

Especially if that mistake ends up hurting society in the long run.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#48lastheroPosted 1/30/2013 11:41:08 AM(edited)
No, actually it sounded more like he was asking why people should accept that your idea of responsibility is the gold standard.

The whole thing about accepting risks and consequences is nice, but it needn't apply. Getting cancer is a risk of smoking...however, we do and should look for ways to fight cancer, and if we were ever to discover a cure, making it available to people who've gotten cancer through smoking would, obviously, be a good thing. Eating too much causes heart problems...but we're working on treatments for people who get these heart problems, as we should. We don't say these people should die just because they've made bad decisions. We recognize that people make mistakes, and while, ultimately, the best way to stop said mistakes and is to stop them before they happen, that doesn't mean we stop looking for ways to correct the mistakes after the fact.

Yes, things have risks and consequences. That doesn't mean that any and all efforts to take those risks and consequences out of the equation are bad.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#49AynRandySavagePosted 1/30/2013 11:43:56 AM
Suibom posted...
You're asking me to explain why people should be responsible with their lives, accept the risks and consequences of their actions

I've accepted that if my girlfriend gets pregnant, I'd pay for her abortion. That's a consequence that I'm willing to accept. How is that being "irresponsible?"
#50AynRandySavagePosted 1/30/2013 11:44:36 AM
lasthero posted...
No, actually it sounded more like he was asking why people should accept that your idea of responsibility is the gold standard.

The whole thing about accepting risks and consequences is nice, but it needn't apply. Getting cancer is a risk of smoking...however, we do and should look for ways to fight cancer, and if we were ever to discover a cure, making it available to people who've gotten cancer through smoking would, obviously, be a good thing. Eating too much causes heart problems...but we're working on treatments for people who get these heart problems, as we should. We don't say these people should die just because they've made bad decisions. We recognize that people make mistakes, and while, ultimately, the best way to stop said mistakes and is to stop them before they happen, that doesn't mean we stop looking for ways to correct the mistakes after the fact.

Yes, things have risks and consequences. That doesn't mean that any and all efforts to take those risks and consequences out of the equation are bad.

yeah, that too