This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What translation of the Bible is the most accurate?

#11DoGCyNPosted 1/30/2013 8:26:59 PM
NASB I believe is the most "literal" translation. I personally use NIV.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#12actarusPosted 1/30/2013 10:26:27 PM(edited)
The Restored Holy Bible. (it is free)
There is the last update (2.3).
RTF format
http://www.4shared.com/zip/FbKKG6Z2/restored_holy_bible_23_rtf.html
e-sword format
http://www.4shared.com/zip/2hPCZ4HB/restored_holy_bible_23_bblx.html

You need enable cookies to download it.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#13FlashOfLightPosted 1/30/2013 11:16:31 PM(edited)
You gotta beware, not all versions have the same meaning, here is a quote from Jer. 9:26 out of "God's Word Translation"

"I will punish Egypt, Judah, Edom, Ammon, and Moab. I will punish all who shave the hair on their foreheads or live in the desert. Even though these nations are circumcised, all Israel has uncircumcised hearts."

"American Standard Version"

"Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that have the corners of their hair cut off, that dwell in the wilderness; for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart."

Ouch, if so, South Central is screwed, continuing...

"Douay-Rheims Bible"

"Upon Egypt, and upon Juda, and upon Edom, and upon the children of Ammon, and upon Moab, and upon all that have their hair polled round, that dwell in the desert: for all the nations are uncircumcised in the flesh, but all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in the heart."

"English Revised Version"

"Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that have the corners of their hair polled, that dwell in the wilderness: for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart."

And just one more, with "Young's Literal Translation"

On Egypt, and on Judah, and on Edom, And on the sons of Ammon, and on Moab, And on all cutting the corner of the beard, Who are dwelling in the wilderness, For all the nations are uncircumcised, And all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart!"

So I would say to you - get a petty translation, and you get an equally petty god to follow with it.

As per my recommendation, as always, go with the standard set by his Majesty, King James ->

"Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that are in the utmost corners, that dwell in the wilderness: for all these nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in the heart."
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#14TheRealJiraiyaPosted 1/30/2013 10:43:28 PM
Get an ESV (English Standard Version). NRSV is supposedly really good too.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#15TheRealJiraiyaPosted 1/30/2013 10:43:59 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
I think the English Standard or the Christian Standard Bibles. Are generally considered the most accurate.

Do not, under any circumstances, read The Message. its just plain terrible.

The message is not a Bible IMO just a commentary
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#16actarusPosted 1/30/2013 10:48:34 PM
FlashOfLight: it is Jer 9:26
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#17FlashOfLightPosted 1/30/2013 11:15:05 PM
actarus posted...
FlashOfLight: it is Jer 9:26

Oops, right, typo, thanks!
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#18LastManStandingPosted 1/31/2013 5:12:45 AM
New American Bible is pretty good. Beware of New American Standard Bible which is not.
Also be aware of short Protestant Bible you want all 73 Books of the Bible and not 66
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#19the_hedonistPosted 1/31/2013 5:36:00 AM
ESV or NRSV. NLT for poetry passages (Psalms, OT prophetic literature).

The NASB is the "most literal," but they tend to retain Greek sentence structure which is 100% different than English, thus it makes it fairly difficult to read at times.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#20the_hedonistPosted 1/31/2013 6:18:22 AM
Btw, the reason I suggest the NLT (or perhaps the NKJV) for poetry passages is that it doesn't seem to me to be faithful to the original to translate poetry literally, but not poetically. The original sense of a text of poetry is meant to communicate emotion, but the problem with translating poetry literally is that every language/culture/epoch has different forms of poetry. What is poetic to the ancient Hebrew, translated literally into modern English, will not be quite as poetic to us. The more literal translations tend to drop the ball in this arena, but something like the NLT does a pretty good job,

I do not really think that any translation does a great job of translating poetry. Many point to the KJV, but in actuality it was a fairly literal translation at the time of its writing. Archaic speech just sounds poetic to our ears, and many of the strange sentence structure comes directly from adopting Greek sentence structure.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek