This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What translation of the Bible is the most accurate?

#31JonWood007Posted 1/31/2013 10:32:45 AM

By "academic," this poster means "in the field of 'religious studies'" as opposed to specialized "theology" schools. Guys like Dawkins and Hawkins study religion, but they are not trained theologians.

Yeah, "religious studies" is not as much from a believer's standpoint, but I find it to be more objective. Theology will typically be biased to favor a certain religious viewpoint. Religious studies more of an objective study of religion. Just my stance on it. I will warn believers that religious studies is not for the feint of heart. YOU WILL QUESTION YOUR VIEWS.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#32JigglysaintPosted 1/31/2013 10:40:41 AM
JST *puts up flame shield*
#33TheRealJiraiyaPosted 1/31/2013 10:47:08 AM
ZeroXcuses posted...
By "academic," this poster means "in the field of 'religious studies'" as opposed to specialized "theology" schools. Guys like Dawkins and Hawkins study religion, but they are not trained theologians.

Dawkins and Hawkins are respected academics in the field of theology now?

Always be cautious when taking advice from someone who divides exegesis into modern political polemics such as "liberal" and "conservative." Interpretation

.... There are different kinds of interpretations of many things, including the Bible. Those interpretations have names. Universalism, annihilationism, and yes, liberal and conserative. I have no idea why that would bother you.

Lastly, also be cautious of the dismissal of the KJV because of its "archaic" language. The KJV is a REMARKABLE piece of literature in that it is actually more accurate in a "word for word" translation from Greek/Hebrew to English than the NIV..

The KJV is one of the least accurate translations. It beats the NIV, but only because the NIV is a low hurdle. If the TC is looking for great poetic literature, the KJV is the way to go. If he is looking for something academics go to for accuracy, he should avoid the KJV like the plague.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#34the_hedonistPosted 1/31/2013 11:08:29 AM
actarus posted...
the_hedonist posted...
ESV or NRSV. NLT for poetry passages (Psalms, OT prophetic literature).

The NASB is the "most literal," but they tend to retain Greek sentence structure which is 100% different than English, thus it makes it fairly difficult to read at times.

The whole Bible is poetic

There's this little thing called 'literary genre.' You should look it up.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#35actarusPosted 1/31/2013 11:29:34 AM
the_hedonist posted...
actarus posted...
the_hedonist posted...

The NASB is the "most literal," but they tend to retain Greek sentence structure which is 100% different than English, thus it makes it fairly difficult to read at times.

And you should look up: the Chiastic structure in the Bible and parallelism in Hebrew and Greek poetry.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#36FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 4:20:46 PM
Some of the excuses for what an "accurate" Bible version is, is if the words are transliterated according to their closest approximation from the original Greek or Hebrew, and there are plenty of YouTubers who go on long-loooong lectures, commentaries, and diatribes, about how "OMG get an accurate Bible, and learn HEBREW and GREEK! These other versions, especially the KJV are bastardized corruptions, by translating novices who had no clue!! + Really upset & fumes).

However, this is nothing more but pretentious ego-stroking, it is really questionable whether these people even have any clue about what it is having grown up in their native language and going off to a country where another language became their secondary language.

For comparative purposes, let's stick with the English to Spanish equivalents, if someone comes across a translated movie, done in English and converted over to Spanish, the English speakers familiar with the original version may get ticked at some of the choice of translations that the dub uses, and they might say things like "Uggh, that is NOT what they are saying"

Now, I don't want to be vulgar, that is especially witnessed in cursing scenes, but let's also stick to the E-rating.

Simple line from T-2, Arnold Swazzersoandso says his famous line "I'll be back"

And now, those who wish to be 100% nitpicky about the exact wordage used, would translate this into Spanish as "Yo vendre de vuelta", which is ok if they want to go that purist route, but it will make what Arnold says sound like a complete douche. An alternate is "Vendre otra vez" which more accurately means in English "I'll be back again", thus adding an extra unnecessary word, BUT, the literarist would get offended by this because it leaves the "I" out, so they would translate it as "YO vendre otra vez"

However, to make Arnold sound co-herent, it can simply be translated as "Regresare" which covers the EXACT SAME meaning meant in English, or if they do want to stick with including the "I", then "YO regresare" or, still not losing any meaning, the best sounding of the bunch "Volvere".

Here is a graphical depiction of that in Spanish ->
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xEYi18CgedE/S_pghLm5JKI/AAAAAAAAAzk/jt8xBiR-e7Q/s1600/terminator.jpg

Keeping with Terminator, for ease, the other famous line which he quotes "Hasta la vista, baby!" - If that is meant to be word for word translated into English, it's closest equivalent is "Until the view, baby" or "Until the sight, baby", which again makes Arnold sound a bit simple-minded, and has absolutely NO IMPACT in English.

Rather, keeping with the meaning of the phrase, and not the wordage, the better and most simple translation is "Later, baby!" - if this was done, complaints would be that the English is adding words not present in the original language, as well as taking them away, and they would be correct, but the meaning is still preserved despite this.

Other versions would be "Until later, baby!" or even "That's it" (not even adding baby), or "That's it, baby!" but "Until next time" or "Until next time, baby" or inserting 'till' instead of 'until' would work just as effectively in English to get the meaning across.

Then of course, one can be extremely radical and go all the way and translate it like a clueless robot (no semi-pun intended) and say "Until the view, bebe". Bebe being the Spanish word for baby.

This that I described, is what goes on in the battle of the accurate translations, it is folly, petty, and superfluous.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#37FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 4:31:10 PM
PS. For you English to Japanese speakers, or Japanese to English speakers that like to use the Babelfish feature often, you should be familiar with how these inconsistencies turn up in Babelfish, because Babelfish has no mechanism to accurately detect meaning in phrases and sayings, and instead goes for the most exact translation of the word, and fails to grasp any meaning that would be contained in the native language's idiom.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#38SuibomPosted 2/1/2013 4:35:00 PM
NKJV 4 life, homies
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#39the_hedonistPosted 2/2/2013 2:22:47 PM
actarus posted...
the_hedonist posted...
actarus posted...
the_hedonist posted...

And you should look up: the Chiastic structure in the Bible and parallelism in Hebrew and Greek poetry.

I don't need to look it up. I already know what they are. Simply put, the whole Bible is not poetry. Paul's writings are epistolary. The Gospels are a subset of historical narrative known as gospel. Proverbs is wisdom literature. Etc. The whole Bible may have spiritual significance to the believer and a statement as mundane as 'Jesus oponed at the tree' may move the believer emotionally in a poetic fashion, but the entire Bible does not conform to the genre of poetry.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek