This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Is it sinful to wear to a Cross?

#1DoGCyNPosted 1/30/2013 8:25:20 PM(edited)
I saw on facebook recently how it would be considered Idolatry to wear a Cross, or to look at Jesus as "a man with a beard."

Quote:

"It is very wrong to have FALSE PICTURES OF CHRIST. It is an insult to the Most Holy and Awesome God. I believe that only those who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord are in the habit of worshipping and propagating such false images. In our part of the world, we have thousands of truly born again Christians and they do not even have an image of the cross in their homes!"

This was posted on the wall of someone who had a picture of Jesus on his/her wall.

I personally disagree with this statement. I have a cross or two at home, and there are some at the church I attend. The Cross to me is symbolic, it is not something to be worshiped. Anyone worshiping such items and images, yes, they would definitely be in the wrong.

...But to have a reminder of what Christ did...is that bad? Thoughts?
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#2SilviiroPosted 1/30/2013 8:38:34 PM
They aren't sinful as long as you aren't literally worshiping them. Remember that they are just symbols and you'll be fine. That said I don't have any of them.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#3FlashOfLightPosted 1/30/2013 10:56:08 PM
The most High never recommends any such images, because instead of people focusing on the most High, they shift their praise, expectations, ideals, and attributes over to the figure or depiction itself, making the Word of God of none effect.

It is a deadly trap, and most are lying to themselves about how deeply embedded the imagery is already into their brains as a part of who, or what they think God is or should be.

Images are made to appeal to emotions, cancelling out rational thought.

There is a certain difference between a plain, solid cross with no writing, nor carved depiction on it, and a crucifix that has the figure of an idealized man, set to appeal to standards of beauty, and what women or men consider to be pretty or handsome.

One can easily get carried away with how much impact a cross is set to have, as a self-test you can ask yourself if the specific cross is just something that is there, and give no second thought about, or if it is something that grabs your attention, makes you dwell on it, and has your stares directed to it, if so, then it is the trap I was referring to.

A simple cross, if worn should give you no second thought, as if you were wearing a hairband around your wrist, but if it's something that you need to look at it in the mirror to see how dapper it looks on yourself, then it is not recommended, it is a vain thing, and a distraction.

Anyway, the Scripture says, concerning such matters, that if your conscience condemns you, then you know you are doing something wrong, but if not, then the thing is nothing to you since it doesn't have power over you.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#4Polish_CrusaderPosted 1/31/2013 3:55:53 AM
FlashOfLight posted...
The most High never recommends any such images, because instead of people focusing on the most High, they shift their praise, expectations, ideals, and attributes over to the figure or depiction itself, making the Word of God of none effect.

It is a deadly trap, and most are lying to themselves about how deeply embedded the imagery is already into their brains as a part of who, or what they think God is or should be.

Images are made to appeal to emotions, cancelling out rational thought.

There is a certain difference between a plain, solid cross with no writing, nor carved depiction on it, and a crucifix that has the figure of an idealized man, set to appeal to standards of beauty, and what women or men consider to be pretty or handsome.

One can easily get carried away with how much impact a cross is set to have, as a self-test you can ask yourself if the specific cross is just something that is there, and give no second thought about, or if it is something that grabs your attention, makes you dwell on it, and has your stares directed to it, if so, then it is the trap I was referring to.

A simple cross, if worn should give you no second thought, as if you were wearing a hairband around your wrist, but if it's something that you need to look at it in the mirror to see how dapper it looks on yourself, then it is not recommended, it is a vain thing, and a distraction.

Anyway, the Scripture says, concerning such matters, that if your conscience condemns you, then you know you are doing something wrong, but if not, then the thing is nothing to you since it doesn't have power over you.

LOL. horrible troll post. except for the last line.
#5Hustle KongPosted 1/31/2013 4:41:42 AM
I saw on facebook

That's a pretty good sign to take it with a huge grain of salt.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6LastManStandingPosted 1/31/2013 5:10:47 AM
You supposed to wear Crucifix for your faith, not be afraid.
You know supposed to wear it as decoration, fashion.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#7the_hedonistPosted 1/31/2013 6:25:16 AM
I see no issues with it. I used to wear a cross necklace, and before that I had a ring with a cross on it.

I do wonder what they mean when they say, "in our part of the world." Would it give some context to the situation? In some parts of the world, images or statues of gods/religious figures are practically worshipped, and it might seem like idolatry/graven images in that context. For me, there is nothing inherent to the object that deserves worship, but it is just a visual reminder of heavenly things. It is good to remind me to think of God and it is a good public display of my faith. But I can understand a more aggressive response to images of Christ in an area of the world where people actually worship physical idols. It's not especially common in the Western world, however.

Personally, it did help to spark some discussions. One person asked me, "do you know what that means? It means you can't have sex before you're married." That led into a nice discussion about what the cross actually means, and I also got to explain that I wasn't going to have sex until I was married, but Christianity is not equated with a Puritanical abstinence from sex.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#8IamvegitoPosted 1/31/2013 6:41:34 AM(edited)
I wouldn't wear a Crucifix, since the whole point is that Jesus triumphed over state execution (And therefore isn't hanging dead on a cross, but alive.)
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#9DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:57:47 AM(edited)
Hustle Kong posted...
I saw on facebook

That's a pretty good sign to take it with a huge grain of salt.

From a Pastor on Facebook. Not one I know personally however...so your approach may be best in this case.

LastManStanding posted...
You supposed to wear Crucifix for your faith, not be afraid.

LMS, what I am about to do is not to offend but to help you. I'm going to retype your sentence for you. Note: Not a grammar nazi, just wanting to help out with yours for the sake of better communication.

"You're supposed to wear a Crucifix for your faith. Do not be afraid."

Fixed.

Now...in regards to that sentence, I disagree that you're "supposed" to wear a Cross. The Cross, in of itself, is not required for salvation...Jesus is. And only Jesus is.
---
#10DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 7:04:33 AM
the_hedonist posted...
I do wonder what they mean when they say, "in our part of the world." Would it give some context to the situation?

The guy is a Pastor/Preacher and he lives in India.

In some parts of the world, images or statues of gods/religious figures are practically worshipped, and it might seem like idolatry/graven images in that context. For me, there is nothing inherent to the object that deserves worship, but it is just a visual reminder of heavenly things. It is good to remind me to think of God and it is a good public display of my faith. But I can understand a more aggressive response to images of Christ in an area of the world where people actually worship physical idols. It's not especially common in the Western world, however.

It seems we're on the same page for the most part. This guy could be considered an...well..."aggressive" Christian. But seeing as he lives in India, and I have no idea what it's like over there...it's possible (just like you said) that people worship physical idols (including the Crucifix) as a daily practice.
---