This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Is it sinful to wear to a Cross?

#11FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 5:13:11 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...

LOL. horrible troll post. except for the last line.

Knock it off, I'm not a troll.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#12WelshGamer82Posted 2/1/2013 5:46:07 AM
Fixed.

It might be worth removing the random upper-case letter in the sentence while you're at it.
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#13kts123Posted 2/1/2013 8:18:13 AM
Meat sacrificed to an Idol, blah blah.
#14chukie_suePosted 2/1/2013 10:06:49 AM(edited)
We're supposed to take bread and wine to remember Jesus' sacrifice, but we can't use the very slab of wood Jesus died on to remember His death? I don't see anything unbiblical about it, but I do see how it can be dangerous. But I think people come to idolize things because they have idolatrous hearts - idolatrous hearts aren't made by images. Why else would Israelites smith golden and silver images?

I feel as though I could talk at great length about this subject because of its relevance in my life, but I will restrain myself for now. It's just very interesting to me that at the very end of John's first epistle which is mostly (or arguably all) about love, he closes his letter with this, seemingly irrelevant word of wisdom: Dear children keep yourselves from idols. It's something about the human condition... We idolize things. Especially when love comes into play. All that to say, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the symbol of a cross - or anything else for that matter. It can become an avenue of destruction, sure; but so can anything else. Medicate the heart, not the symptom.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#15PhoroPosted 2/1/2013 7:02:05 PM
Related, if not exactly on-topic: Growing up in Utah, Mormons commonly looked down upon those wearing a cross, equating the act to "wearing the bullet that killed your mother" (or a variation of that). Naturally, this may have been nothing more than a veiled bias, since it was obvious you weren't Mormon if you wore a cross (who typically brandish a 'CTR' ring or necklace as a symbol of faith).
I still always thought it was interesting perspective. Any thoughts on it?
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#16DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 9:06:47 AM
WelshGamer82 posted...
Fixed.

It might be worth removing the random upper-case letter in the sentence while you're at it.

Lol, dangit.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#17zero8691Posted 2/2/2013 9:44:44 PM
DoGCyN posted...
I saw on facebook recently how it would be considered Idolatry to wear a Cross, or to look at Jesus as "a man with a beard."

Quote:

"It is very wrong to have FALSE PICTURES OF CHRIST. It is an insult to the Most Holy and Awesome God. I believe that only those who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord are in the habit of worshipping and propagating such false images. In our part of the world, we have thousands of truly born again Christians and they do not even have an image of the cross in their homes!"

This was posted on the wall of someone who had a picture of Jesus on his/her wall.

I personally disagree with this statement. I have a cross or two at home, and there are some at the church I attend. The Cross to me is symbolic, it is not something to be worshiped. Anyone worshiping such items and images, yes, they would definitely be in the wrong.

...But to have a reminder of what Christ did...is that bad? Thoughts?

No it's not sinful, That post seems to be born of ignorance, like those protestants who make stupid YouTube videos about 'Liberal christians or secular TV WILL Kill YO SOUL!!!!11" also I use to wear one Till it broke But I wore it as a symbol of my Faith and to show others what I am and stuff.
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass