This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

10% vs 18%

#51OrangeWizardPosted 1/31/2013 11:26:22 PM

I suppose, but honestly? If he had some problem with people seeing what he wrote, he shouldn't have wrote it in the first place.

Not what he wrote.

His signature.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#52Far421Posted 2/1/2013 9:39:54 AM
I love this topic.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#53JonWood007Posted 2/1/2013 10:10:43 AM
One thing that is kind of a side issue, but probably should be discussed, is the idea that companies can get away paying waitresses $2.83 an hour and expect them to make up the rest by relying on others' charity. Perhaps it would be better to just pay waitresses minimum wage or slightly more and then raise the prices a little?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#54FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 10:40:24 AM
Does the girl who got tipped (or lack thereof) have a video up anywhere yet?
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#55Julian_CaesarPosted 2/1/2013 3:50:16 PM
Perhaps it would be better to just pay waitresses minimum wage or slightly more and then raise the prices a little?

Not sure how that would work in practice. It's a good idea for the benefit of the workers, but you'd be hard-pressed to get a law like that passed since everyone else (the customers) would be footing an extra bill for those workers' salaries. Yes, they should have been doing it from the beginning, I agree. That doesn't matter because people have become accustomed to the status quo. Unlike universal healthcare, the government is not going to wield a regulatory "stick" in order to make restaurants pay minimum wage to their workers.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#56OrangeWizardPosted 2/1/2013 4:02:57 PM
Not sure how that would work in practice.

Like every other industry in existence. It works for McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, etc.

the government is not going to wield a regulatory "stick" in order to make restaurants pay minimum wage to their workers.

And that's sad.
---
#57kozlo100Posted 2/1/2013 4:14:58 PM
They're actually already wielding that stick, it's just that they left a weird little loophole for a certain kind of business.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#58Julian_CaesarPosted 2/1/2013 4:47:02 PM
Like every other industry in existence. It works for McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, etc.

Today we've all learned that OW tips when he goes to Taco Bell. What a swell guy :)
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#59PhoroPosted 2/1/2013 6:38:15 PM
I'm very pro-tipping (I'm a Bellman in Vegas and certainly no hypocrite), but I need to clear something up:
Tip compliance laws ensure that employees who make less than minimum wage hourly are still guaranteed to take home minimum wage. If the tips they earn don't translate to minimum wage levels (as rare as that is), the employer picks up the tab.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm

That said, you should still tip, and if you can't afford it or don't agree with the concept, like HustleKong said: don't eat out. And don't ask me to take your bags to your room.

Remember this: whether you tip or not, we in the tipping industry are taxed for the tips we're *expected* to earn (unless we track our own tips, which is a pain in the ass, especially if you get audited). So if you don't tip us, it's like we're paying money to serve you.

Oh, and more on topic, this pastor is a ****ing ****wad.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#60OrangeWizardPosted 2/1/2013 6:52:38 PM
Tip compliance laws ensure that employees who make less than minimum wage hourly are still guaranteed to take home minimum wage. If the tips they earn don't translate to minimum wage levels (as rare as that is), the employer picks up the tab.

Oh, good, now I can not tip and be guilt free.
---