This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People care more about Christ's death than they do his life.

#11bratt100Posted 2/1/2013 12:32:48 AM
Julian_Caesar posted...
Repetition is a common thing when brainwashing a person or group of people.

It's also a common thing when teaching important concepts in the classroom.

And yet we are discussing religion...one of the few things that should stay away from the classroom.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#12Julian_CaesarPosted 2/1/2013 3:55:46 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...
Repetition is a common thing when brainwashing a person or group of people.

It's also a common thing when teaching important concepts in the classroom.

And yet we are discussing religion...one of the few things that should stay away from the [secular] classroom.

I agree (with an edit for clarification). And that should make you a little more suspicious about the repetition of academia, if you think about it . Or do you think that the repetition of the secular classroom is inherently "purer" than the repetition of religion? I hope not, because that's the sort of thing that a brainwashed person believes.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#13DarkContractorPosted 2/2/2013 9:13:23 PM
no, secular classroom just has time for claims backed by evidence.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#14Julian_CaesarPosted 2/3/2013 9:40:05 PM
no, secular classroom just has time for claims backed by evidence.

What the claims are based on is completely irrelevant to what we're discussing; namely, the use of repetition to reinforce a concept as true. Specifically whether we call that repetition "brainwashing" or "academic reinforcement," and our inherent biases in which definition we apply to different situational uses of the exact same method.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#15IamvegitoPosted 2/6/2013 5:00:52 AM
His death was a state execution due to the anti-imperial themes woven throughout his teachings. Of course Americans ignore his life; he spoke against empire, which is what America is.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#16bratt100Posted 2/6/2013 5:47:27 AM(edited)
In the case of a secular (reality based) classroom repetition and being able to perform experiments to prove they are correct are used to cement actual facts. You could attempt the call that brain washing but in this case they are teaching things that are real and provable. NO RELIGION CAN DO THE SAME. Not a single one.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#17fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 6:41:46 AM
bratt100 posted...
In the case of a secular (reality based) classroom repetition and being able to perform experiments to prove they are correct are used to cement actual facts. You could attempt the call that brain washing but in this case they are teaching things that are real and provable.

Can you prove any of the historical "facts" you learned in school, via experimentation or otherwise?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#18bratt100Posted 2/6/2013 6:55:03 AM(edited)
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...
In the case of a secular (reality based) classroom repetition and being able to perform experiments to prove they are correct are used to cement actual facts. You could attempt the call that brain washing but in this case they are teaching things that are real and provable.

Can you prove any of the historical "facts" you learned in school, via experimentation or otherwise?

In the sense that we can prove what has happened over the past hundred years by video documentation and photos and witnesses to help back up that information. It also helps that these people's experiences where corroborated but thousands if not millions or billions of other people. The same cant be said for religion in any provable way.
---
#19fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 7:17:09 AM
bratt100 posted...
In the sense that we can prove what has happened over the past hundred years by video documentation and photos and witnesses to help back up that information.

Not recent history. Ancient history. Surely you believe that you have a mostly accurate understanding of many of the significant events which occurred in ancient times?

bratt100 posted...
It also helps that these people's experiences where corroborated but thousands if not millions or billions of other people.

Can you prove that these experiences were corroborated by all those people?

And, uh, which events have been corroborated by billions of separate accounts, anyway?

bratt100 posted...
The same cant be said for religion in any provable way.

I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about history. Secular history.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#20bratt100Posted 2/6/2013 7:27:52 AM
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...
In the sense that we can prove what has happened over the past hundred years by video documentation and photos and witnesses to help back up that information.

Not recent history. Ancient history. Surely you believe that you have a mostly accurate understanding of many of the significant events which occurred in ancient times?

bratt100 posted...
It also helps that these people's experiences where corroborated but thousands if not millions or billions of other people.

Can you prove that these experiences were corroborated by all those people?

And, uh, which events have been corroborated by billions of separate accounts, anyway?

bratt100 posted...
The same cant be said for religion in any provable way.

I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about history. Secular history.

History is written by all sides and often times the loudest wins out. Can I prove an event that happened 2000 years ago? No. What I can do it take the evidence and come up a reasonably accurate picture.

In the case of corraboration you have millions of people who where directly effected by both world wars. Now let's say we have a global event (super volcano ect.) events such as these would have billions of individual accounts.

I'm not saying our understanding of history is perfect because it's far from it but given the information at hand we can make very reasonable assumptions. Can I prove that Alexander took over the known world? No, but I can show you the evidence to support it and you would be a fool to deny it. To me that is a proof however inacurrate the definition.
---