This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the Holy Spirit also called the Holy Ghost?

#1Gryffindor1Posted 2/1/2013 1:19:59 PM
Did it come about when spirit and ghost became interchangable?
#2SuibomPosted 2/1/2013 2:16:59 PM
That's a great question.

I believe in the Trinity. That God is three-in-one. Triune. And man was made in His image the same.

Mind, body, and spirit.

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

That just as man has received the breath of life from God, the pneuma, so too is the Holy Spirit the Pneuma of God.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#3chukie_suePosted 2/1/2013 3:01:29 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_Holy_Spirit_called_Holy_Ghost

tldr, the KJV used the word ghost often. As did John Wycliffe - the influential forerunner to the reformation - in his translation of the New Testament. The word ghost used to mean more than it does in pop culture nowadays.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#4FlashOfLightPosted 2/1/2013 3:41:34 PM
It's mostly a carry over from the Latin Vulgate, in the case of "spirit".
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#5Burning_WolfXPosted 2/3/2013 1:32:24 PM
Gryffindor1 posted...
Did it come about when spirit and ghost became interchangable?

"Holy Ghost" sounds like "Heiliger Geist" in German, and they both mean the same thing. "Geist" means both "spirit/soul" and "ghost."
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.