This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dan Cathy, owner of Chick-fil-A and Campus Pride director befriend each other

#1the_hedonistPosted 2/1/2013 4:27:52 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/shane-l-windmeyer/dan-cathy-chick-fil-a_b_2564379.html
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#2OrangeWizardPosted 2/1/2013 4:40:40 PM
Okay
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#3Hustle KongPosted 2/1/2013 4:48:14 PM
That's a great article. Thanks for posting it. I really like the idea of people sharing what makes them who they are and trying to understand other people and what makes them who they are, without trying to win anyone over.

When this board is at its best, that's what it reminds me of. I've never met any of you, but I have been enriched by sharing and learning from a great deal of you.

;o;
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/1/2013 4:48:18 PM
Wow, and apparenlty funding to controversial groups has stopped
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#5SuibomPosted 2/1/2013 4:53:37 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
That's a great article. Thanks for posting it. I really like the idea of people sharing what makes them who they are and trying to understand other people and what makes them who they are, without trying to win anyone over.

When this board is at its best, that's what it reminds me of. I've never met any of you, but I have been enriched by sharing and learning from a great deal of you.

;o;

Dawwwww... You old softie
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#6Julian_CaesarPosted 2/1/2013 4:54:14 PM

;o;

:'-)

And yes...thanks to hedonist very much for sharing this article. I'm greatly encouraged by Cathy's decision to stop funding the more divisive politically-motivated groups. And perhaps, even moreso, encouraged by Windmeyer's decision to halt the campaign for now. What a powerful image of making relationships more important than rules.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#7Julian_CaesarPosted 2/3/2013 10:32:37 PM
What, really? No comments from all the people who accused Cathy of the most heinous bigotry a few months ago?
---
#8DarkContractorPosted 2/3/2013 10:41:02 PM
What, really? No comments from all the people who accused Cathy of the most heinous bigotry a few months ago?

so if i murder someone, then later on keep apologizing and saying I shouldn't have/regret it, yall should act like I wasn't a murderer in the first place?

i have no problem forgiving him, I think its great he changed his mind. but you seem like youre expecting some sort of specific response frompeople.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#9Magyar15Posted 2/3/2013 10:47:06 PM
DarkContractor posted...

so if i murder someone, then later on keep apologizing and saying I shouldn't have/regret it, yall should act like I wasn't a murderer in the first place?

i have no problem forgiving him, I think its great he changed his mind. but you seem like youre expecting some sort of specific response frompeople.

Cathy never apologized for what he believes...
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#10Julian_CaesarPosted 2/3/2013 10:54:34 PM

A more applicable analogy would be if I accidentally caused another person's death, but was accused of intentionally murdering them. Yes, I would expect people to act like I'm not a murderer if the victim's family comes out and says I didn't do it on purpose.

Depends on what you're forgiving him for. If you forgive him for being unaware of how his business actions were actually impacting the gay community, the sure...because he clearly realized that he did that poorly, and set about to understand the perspective of that community in order to make his future decisions. Such as withdrawing support from the groups which he felt were focused more on opposing gay rights than on promoting their own view of marriage (with respect for those who disagree, just as he and Windmeyer agreed to respectfully disagree, while understanding each other).

But if you mean forgive him for being a hateful bigot (which so many on this board accused him of being, as well as anyone who defended him from such personal accusations), then I'm skeptical of him needing that forgiveness. Because his actions since that time have clearly demonstrated that what he did was not motivated by bigotry or hate towards the gay community.
---